Splitting Profit with 2 Owners

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cummins757, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Cummins757

Cummins757 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
    New Jersey
    My brother and I would like to start a trucking company. He has been driving trucks for about 8 years and has been driving flatbed for 6. I am currently in the military and don't retire for 7 more years.

Our original plan was to wait until I retire, start driving together, and he can show me the ropes. However, I am very impatient, and would like to get started now. So my thinking is this. We could go ahead and buy a truck and start the company now, but he would be the one driving and I would be the one helping him find loads and helping out financially. My question is this; if you all were put in that position, how would you split the expenses and profit seeing as how I am not on the road and he is? I think this should be an interesting thread. Thank you all for your help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    One truck and two people splitting the profits and expenses will make for two homeless people.

spyder7723, TGUNKEL, truckon and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Cummins757

Cummins757 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
    New Jersey
    Oscar the KW, could you please expand to help me understand

5. scottlav46

scottlav46 Road Train Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    I would think that Oscar is pretty close to the truth IF you guys are going to set up the split 50/50. That would never work. It's hard enough supporting one family with a truck, never mind two.

However...if you are willing to be in it for the long haul (no pun intended) and not take a salary out of the company, then you may be able to work it to your advantage.

There are a lot of ways to get from point A to point B. I guess the best thing I could tell you, IMO, is to keep the long view in mind. Your brother is going to be doing the driving, compensate him well. Keep rolling anything over and above his salary and expenses back into your project. Make a commitment to yourself to not take a dime out of the company while you are still in the military. (Many thanks for your service, by the way.)

Good luck with your project brother...I almost envy your journey. Keep us posted and anytime you want my opinion just ask. You have a really cool road ahead of you.

\m/
    Scott

average joe Thanks this.
  6. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    the only ship that doesn't float is a patrnership

truckon, Skate-Board and redoctober83 Thank this.
  7. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Got to love Dave Ramsey for that quote.

Best thing you can do is have your brother own the business and you be an employee or vice versa. If you're the employee you would get paid a percentage of the loads you book. Nothing huge for now since you aren't driving with him and let him keep the rest of the profit. Also, you could set up a small profit sharing plan to help compensate you as a bonus based in how well the business does each quarter or year. Then once you retire, you can be compensated appropriately for driving and securing loads. That's really the best plan.

If you go into it as partners, you're asking for trouble belt you even retire and get to enjoy the business.

Thank you for your service!

8. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    my grandfather said that long before dave ramsey
    probably his grandfather too

truckon Thanks this.
  9. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    OK then I give credit to your family for the quote. It still stands very true!

truckon Thanks this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Family is wealth. Kudos for you and your brother venturing to go into business together. Since your brother is going to be driving, you need to pay him a percentage right off the top...something like 25-27% (the immediate goal isn't to line your pockets, it's to set sail or get started) as a driver's wage. Split the weekly expenses and set up 10% in maintenance. And most importantly, you need to learn patience. Especially when going into business with another person.

My brother and I own a construction company. We talk, we buy, I invest...it's for the family, if that makes sense. Mom, sisters, nieces and nephews.

11. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Also, a good way to start a family feud.

average joe Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.