Spoke with rep at JJ Keller about E-Logs

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    Nope, they probably won't wait, they would probably just write you up for not complying with the logging rules, and put you OOS for 10 or 34 hours, depending on how pissy they were feeling that day.

If they want a paper copy, it probably means they suspect you of some logging violation, and are wanting the evidence to audit it. If your hours looked good, they wouldn't bother.

This is like so much else in trucking...
    Oh, they never bother me for speeding!
    You don't have to put as many tiedowns on as they say, it won't go anywhere!
    I can cheat a little on my hours, they haven't audited me in 10 years!
    I can ignore any law that I don't like, or that annoys me, and they will never catch me!

The rules say that for eLogging, you have to be able to produce paper records when requested, which means if you are unable to, you have the risk of being written up for potentially something serious like not keeping a log, which usually means you are parked for a while.
    And if you expect to only find merciful inspectors, you should read some stories about inspections! Lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    They are required to allow you time to "print" your copies. Some of you guys always create the absolute worse scenarios about this stuff. There is absolutely no way a roadside inspector is going to put you out of service on the side of the road for 10 to 34 hours. That's just ridiculous, man.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  4. Ke6gwf

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    That is a pretty common response when the logs are questionable, so they doubt that you have hours available.

And chances are if they are requesting a paper copy of your logs, it is because they think you may have failed to log properly, which thus calls into question whether you have hours left on your clock.
    And what is the one guaranteed way to verify you have hours on your clock??

Make you sit where they can watch you, until your clock is reset lol

5. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Man, in all of the years I've been driving and all of the various levels of inspections I've had, I only had one inspector (at Cottonwood, CA) that I thought was scrutinizing my (paper) logs.

He was going back and forth between the pages, using his calculator, glancing up at his computer screen, etc.

He was just positive there was something there. After about 10 minutes he handed them back to me and with sly smile said, "good job".

Now as far ELOGS go, I ran into a guy I know this morning unloading. He's on company ELOGS. He arrived at the consignee last night at 10 pm and parked outside the gate. They opened the gate at 0630. He checked in, docked, unloaded and parked right back outside the gate at 0800. Got his new dispatch for a 1300 pick up 45 minutes away. Waited until 1045 to start his ELD, showed 15 minute pretrip, 10 minute onduty docking, 50 minutes sleeper berth for their unloading time. Started his truck and drove away for his 1300 appt.

This goes on ALL day long by thousands of ELOGGERS.

What a bunch of cheaters! ;-)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    cnsper and fargonaz Thank this.
  6. Ke6gwf

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    Now, if they audit him, they are going to want to know how he got his paperwork signed while he was in his sleeper berth, and put him OOS for 10 hours, and write him up for falsifying logs.

Is that really worth it to save 4 hours?

Plus the cost this has on the rest of us, as they will keep finding ways to catch things like that, adding more restrictions to everyone.

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    What do you mean signed while in the sleeper berth?

He didn't even have to leave the sleeper berth. They brought the signed paperwork out to him when they were done. It wasn't time stamped.

He started his truck which put him back onduty driving, closed his doors and drove away.

See how easy it is to cheat elogs?

And yes, the extra 4 hours is worth it to him. He ensured he'll be able to get all the way home tonight by delaying his start time on his 14 hour clock.

8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    A new one at Walmart can be had for that. All you need for the jj keller is a bluetooth compatible tablet. Been running the jj keller logs since late March.

9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Look I ran elogs. I know all the tricks of the trade. Reality is, when someone creates what they think is a fail proof mouse trap, some wiley mouse comes along and figures out a way to get that peanut butter out of the trap.

While compliance and safety are supposedly at the root of this ELD mandate, there is a fundamental flaw in place that was not adequately resolved, namely, no consequences for shippers and receivers who leave drivers who are mostly paid by the mile stranded sometimes for long periods of time.

Until that is resolved, guys will continue to skirt the regs anyway they can.

10. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Since you have been running them how easy is navigating through each screen and option. How is tech support when you need help. Do they answer or is it a game of phone tag or please hold I'll transfer you to another department kind of theme

11. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Maybe I'm foolish or naive maybe I don't care to much about losing time or money by running these E-Logs, but I look at it like this. Sooner or later a driver will get too comfortable fudging their logs and maybe just once they screw up and don't even realize they did it, until one day that driver meets the DOT Officer who does the most intensive scrutiny on your logs and finds that one little careless act the driver has made and it's game over. Fines, Tickets, OOS, dings to your CSA score. Maybe some drivers don't care about losing money or time, maybe they are rebels against the system and maybe they will go years and years of never getting caught. I hope that no driver gets caught loses money or their business. I personally worked to dang hard to throw my company down the toilet. Rules are rules and you cant go wrong playing by the rules. This of course is just my opinion and I hope all of you stay safe have fun and make money.
    Thanks Guys

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.