spreading gravel

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by western star 192, Jul 20, 2015.

1. western star 192

western star 192 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2015
    With this different truck I'm running dumping rock no problem but spreading I'll raise bed till rock drops back take off pop gate all good now tried in different gears to regulate rpm but soon as I go to raise some more it shoots up no control what so ever. Is it just that kind of pump. Any help appreciate

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wall_404

wall_404 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    The one driver we have unlocks the tail gate and put the chains on, starts driving when the gravel or sand starts coming. If too much is coming out he speeds up, not enough he slows down. It just takes time to get used to the truck. Good luck.

4. RetiredUSN

RetiredUSN Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    No...I don't think the pump is the problem. The control lever in the cab should shut off flow without the bed lowering on you. Have you played around with it in various positions?

We have a older truck where the control valve and hydraulics are tricky. It wants to raise or lower, and has no center detent for a neutral position. I use the clutch when I back up to a spreader box to engage or disengage the PTO. We do a lot of CTA for a large road building company. It gets tricky...but doable......but still a PITA.

I your case, I would either get a new dump bed control and see whats going on with the hydraulics. You can still spread Stone/21-A/21-B......but it will take good timing and a sense of how much is coming off the truck while you are doing it.

5. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    There's a few goofy styles of dump body controls out there. I saw one where every time you stopped raising the hoist it would automatically shift the pto into neutral. Looked like it was a PITA for spreading.

My hoist control as of now has no detent to keep it raising, so if I've gotta grab some gears to make the blade hand happy it looks like I'm in the cab driving a 5 and a 4!

Spreading's fun when you're good at it! Nothing like the smile on a blade hand's face when all he's gotta do is hit it with the roller!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.