Stab breaking or continuous light pressure

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by carsonallen1977, Sep 1, 2012.

1. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    I can't say I've ever seen it legal to use one set of chains on a truck and one on the trailer. If you mean double chains I'm still finding it hard to believe but maybe..ok, after thinking about it I'm throwing the flag on the 10 minutes

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    that depends on the chains. cuz mine take a heck of a lot longer. but they aren't exactly a perfect fit either. LOL.
    I need to get the proper size this year.

the lazy attitude i like are the ones that REFUSE to chain. they would rather sit. no matter how long before the chain law is lifted.
    heaven forbid they should actually drive on a snowwy road.

4. BigJim1937

BigJim1937 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Fargo,ND
    If you store them on your rack right and your racks are in front of your drives it is simple. Only the disorganized cant manage it. put them on your rack so you can remove them take the ends pull them forward they are laid out. pull truck forward lift ends to connect, simple. Steer chain same #### thing it is how you store them that make putting them on that quick. Now do you want to meet me somewhere so I can do a demo for you. Been doing this for 38 years already. Just because you cant manage to be that organized dont say everyone who is is a liar.

Courtney

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I believe stab braking is a technique for vehicles without antilock brake systems (ABS). Stab braking can be used with ABS for emergency stopping though.

Squeeze braking is the technique where the driver has a target speed and applies enough pressure to bring the speed down about 5 miles per hour less than the target speed and allowing it to build back up to target speed.

Light steady continuous pressure is the old skool technique that was taught in the olden days where the driver rode their brakes down the mountain all the way.

Light steady continuous pressure does still have its place out here though. If it is raining or snowy, it is good to use this technique every so often during your driving day to dry out your brakes so when you need them they work the way you expect.

Installing chains, I can do it about 5 minutes per tire. Most of the time you only need to do 1 drive tire on each side and 1 tire on the trailer, sometimes 2 tires on the trailer. My technique involves 2x4's which I place in front of the inside dual and drive up on so the outside dual is elevated a couple inches and the chaining procedure is done effortlessly. actually takes longer setting up the 2x4's, driving up on them and gathering them up afterwords than it does to wrap the chains around the tires, hook, rotate cams and put 3 bungee cords each. Taking off is even quicker, unhook, lay out and drive forward 10 or 12 feet and go pick up all the chains.

6. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    :biggrin_2556:

Ahh... you can probably delete the PM, forget about doing laundry, and just concentrate on throwing iron. Goes a lot faster.

NWMAXI Thanks this.
  7. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    You need someone to teach you a better way...or to help you figure out what takes you so long!
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...ers-advice/158771-chaining-are-you-ready.html

10 minutes per axle is about right, or 5 minutes per tire....using CA configurations, "minimum, modified max, max" 20-25 minutes for minimum, 30-35 minutes for modified max, and 40-45 minutes for maximum chain application. Watch the videos to see what I am saying.

8. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Yes it does...and a waste of time....but to each his/her own. Plus the fact of having to carry and store additional, unnecessary "stuff"!

9. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Miami,FL (yeah i know :( )
    i do a slight mix of both but try not to ride them to long when bobtail now if i got some crappy chassis and container hooked up to truck its trailer brakes used the whole trip lol.

10. BigJim1937

BigJim1937 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Fargo,ND
    Wow if it takes you an hour to chain up, do not drive BC Canada or above the 60 anytime soon. #### there have been days I have had to chain up and off 5 times in a single 14 hour day. At the rate you chain you would be 1/2 the day just doing that. The other half getting the frost bite looked after. Even with a slight breeze 40 below is 40 below and colder skin freezes in seconds not hours.
    Now I chain fast the wife is even faster then again she has a method that works wonders. For one she has covers she made that go over the chains on the racks so they dont get all iced up and ####. She tapes the hooks so they dont get all tangled and messed up. She has a method she uses to put them on the rake where when she takes them off all she has to do is hold onto the last of it and drag them forward. She tried to show me how to do it but I am all thumbs just could not get it to work for me. At Max I take about 30 minutes to do mine. The wife can do hers in 1/2 that time.

11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I carry the 2x4's anyway for things like nailing down blocks against pallets or gators that might look like they want to slide around.

In a pinch I could build a fire with them.

If I had an outside dual flat, I could crawl up on the 2x4's on the inside dual and be ready when the road service guy gets there.

Every once in a while I set them under all tires and crawl up on them and get on my creeper and go under and grease/inspect everything.

I have given some to flatbedders who had their load sliding around on the dunnage, so they nailed my like 14 inch 2x4's on each side of the pipe on the dunnage using my hammer and nails lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.