Star Car Air Conditioning

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by dclerici1, Oct 8, 2016.

1. dclerici1

dclerici1 Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    MISSOURI
    Has the AC been improved on the new Star 4900's? I have a '12 and on a hot day it is ok but not great. Everything is fine with the system, I just think that it is under rated for the size of the cab/sleeper.
    It's time to replace, want to stay with Star but would like to have an AC that chills everything.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I had a '13, it was okay, not great.
    My new Cascadia was like riding in a fridge this past summer.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Did you spring for the extra insulation/cold weather package in your current truck? Honestly can mean a 25+ degree difference in the sleeper during heat or cold. Ive been in un-insulated trucks where the bunk heater struggled to keep the cab above 55*.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  5. dclerici1

Aug 1, 2012
    MISSOURI
    Ya, has the optional insulation. I've had trucks where the AC freezes you out, but not this one. On hot days I have to run the bunk AC and the cab AC going down the road just to stay somewhat comfortable. Am hoping that they have changed/improved the system since then.

6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Have a 16, ac is good until about 100* after that it will keep me comfortable, but not freeze me out. My KW's were a little better, but not by much.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I found that in really hot weather, close the sleeper curtains and the cab stays more comfortable. No need to run both systems.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  8. Mythandar

Mythandar Bobtail Member

May 18, 2016
    On the brand new Star's the whole HVAC system has been remade. The new system has 30% more air flow and at least 12% reduction in temperature with a/c on full (according to Star). To my knowledge it replaces both HVAC systems we had before with this one new style. The control panel looks very similar to the standard system but it's more electronic (similar to the ATC option). There's no cable attached to the temp selector.
    starcontrol.jpg
    Here's what the new control panel looks like. Very similar to the old standard system but no crappy blue toggle that burns out every chance it gets.

I haven't had a chance to work on this system yet, just seen it in new trucks we sell.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  9. Mythandar

Mythandar Bobtail Member

May 18, 2016
    Also, for those with the old systems, one of it's main issues is that it isn't sealed very well. The ducts are made in sections and they may not have fit together perfectly and you could be losing some air through the seams before it makes it out the vent. There's a service bulletin where we would open up the dash seal up every seam that needed it. Has made a vast difference for some.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    True dat. When I got my 2013 it kept popping the trailer light breaker at night. Finally noticed if I left the fuse panel cover off, it would work fine. Also noticed it was pretty hot in there. Found the ducting right on top of the fan housing had about a 3/4" gap around it, I used that foil duct tape. Breaker never blew again after that.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  11. dclerici1

Aug 1, 2012
    MISSOURI
    Thank you sir, I appreciate your comments.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.