Start truck driving school on Monday the 10th

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by crazybread, Oct 5, 2016.

1. crazybread

crazybread Medium Load Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Hello, I start truck driving school on Monday the 10th and want to know what you guys did to prepare yourself for school? I was told by the school to just focus on the questions for the test to the written exam and not the written information. Would this be better than just reading up on the CDl manual? Any suggestions for what I should be studying before the school?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Google : Free Practice CDL Test California
    The school is right, memorize the questions and answers.
    Also can study the "CDL Practice Tests" at the top of this page.

Are you with Swift?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  4. crazybread

Jul 30, 2015
    Thank you for your reply Chinatown. I have been studying the CDl from the trucking truth so far. I just feel by memorizing the questions and answers that the school would only teach me how to pass the test and not know the information that I need to be on the road.

5. TruckDrivingtn

TruckDrivingtn Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Maryville Tn
    Schools will typically just get you the Cdl and train you on testing for CDL both written and skills. Your real training will come in with your company with a Driver trainer.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    This is true.
    Don't overthink it. Do what you have to do to get the cdl, then the learning starts with your first company. Take a look at KKW Trucking as a first company. There's plenty more to choose from, but they have a good training program for new grads.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

This site has most questions to all/most endorsement questions. The website Trucker Country has every question to every endorsement.

8. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    My suggestion is to get a real job.Something that requires some skills (programming,plumbing,hvac etc) because anybody can drive a truck.

9. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Unless they work for CRE......

10. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Best of luck to you! The questions on this site were extremely helpful for us. I passed all my endorsements the first try....

When you have your CDL you will know about 1% of what you need to know to do the job... Everything else comes through your first trainer and the first few years on the job. Cdl school doesn't even begin to address fueling, trip planning, driver safety... This list could go on forever!

11. crazybread

Jul 30, 2015
    Thank you for your reply. I hear that you should have two years of on the road before getting any more endorsements. Do you think that is about right?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.