Starter Flatbed Companies Seattle and/or Green Bay area

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Dostoevsky, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Hi everyone. I've been in the trucking industry almost 5 years now and have been wanting to try a bit of everything to see where I fit best. I've done van, refer and some local food service trucking. I've really enjoyed the physical requirements of doing food service, but always end up missing OTR when I'm home too long and the wanderlust sets in. So I'm ready to take the plunge and try flatbeds, but could use some input.

The usual suspects for flatbed beginners are all giving me some trouble, but I admit I'm being a little picky since I have the experience and a clean MVR to back it up.

TMC and Maverick: I've heard great things about both companies, but neither hire on the west coast (I like to split my home time between Seattle and Green Bay if possible and have done it with my last two OTR jobs) and neither have non family rider policies. Taking my girlfriend is a huge perk when I'm OTR.

Melton: This was my top choice and I was talking with a recruiter, but recently found out they have driver facing cameras. There are many melton threads already, and some very outspoken opinions on the camera issue. I don't want this thread to be another debate over cameras. I fall in the camp of pro road facing cameras, but feel uncomfortable with driver facing. I want to be part of the solution, not the problem. If I was an O/O I wouldn't support cheap freight, and as a company driver I won't drive with a camera in my face.

I know there are probably some small operations out there (especially with all the construction going on here in Seattle), and maybe some other companies that I've overlooked. Any input would be appreciated, in the meantime I'll continue hunting.

tl;dr Driver with 5 years experience looking for a starter flatbed company that

-does not have driver facing cameras

-allows non family riders

-hires in Seattle or Green Bay, WI

Thanks everyone

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    System transport is based out of Washington, is the largest flatbed company on the west, and hires students.
    They've got great equipment too.
    I don't think they have driver facing cameras but truthfully I'm unsure.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, System Transport and they have Tripac APU's.

Leavitt's Freight Service
    Jones Bros. Trucking
    Waggoners Trucking Co.
    Decker Truck Line

You'll have to check the websites about freight lanes and rider policy.

5. Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks Chinatown and CasanovaCrusier, I'll check these out.

Sneakerfix and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    Yea system will hire out of both areas.

Rider policy is 7 years of age and you must know them for over 1 year

we have a drop yard down in Tacoma with interstate.

Since you have 5 years you can also check central Oregon trucking

7. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    Did you upgrade yet?

CanadianVaquero Thanks this.
  8. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Yep. Had some troubles along the way.
    I upgraded and they sent me on a bus to Ohio to get a truck. The truck I picked up in Ohio made it through one load and then broke down about 120 miles into my second lol.
    Sat in a hotel for 3 days #####ing for them to get me a new truck, said screw it and went home, went back to the terminal yesterday and got a 2015 cascadia with 90k miles. All is well now haha

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Try "Combined" while you're at it.

10. allikatzpop

allikatzpop Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2008
    york,pa
    Call BTC. They pay % or mileage. Take %. When you work cpm there is a built in ceiling because you can only run X miles legally in a week. Family owned w/ all the benefits.I drove there 20 yrs. I'd still be there if my health permitted it

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
    Reason for edit: Remove phone number
  11. jerezxp7

jerezxp7 Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    Leavitts will hire you out of Seattle but I'm not sure you have enough patients to get settled into a good company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.