starting a l/p on 5/3

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by boston bill, Apr 27, 2015.

1. itaff

itaff Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I would slightly disagree, if he is clearing a grand after his truck payment, insurance, tags and taxes have been payed a grand is not bad.. Can he do better? Does he want to do better? Of course, but for any person who is starting out, clearing a grand is not a problem, it is a profit! Not a big profit, but it is a profit..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. insertnamehere

insertnamehere Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2013
    I disagree. 4 grand a month is not o/o money, thats regular ### driver wages.

freightwipper Thanks this.
  4. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
  5. Braylean

Braylean Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Wow, noone said this was o/o wages. If you are getting a maint. acct. built up, affording to pay the taxes and support the family at home, all while paying your first truck off, and your happy with what you get then what does it matter. It´s not yours, mine or anyone.elses job to tell these folks how much it takes to make them happy. Personally, if I could do all of the above and clear a grand a week, I promise you that I would be content.

6. insertnamehere

Dec 16, 2013
    Let me guess, $0.90 a mile sounds great too? All I'm saying is that a lot of the new guys (5 years or less) have been conditioned into thinking that it's good money. All of the old timers like myself think otherwise. There is a reason why we've lasted out here for 20 plus years. A grand a week is barely making it, not doing maintenance, being a slave to the truck, DRIVER WAGES. Not o/o or l/p money, which is what this whole thread is about. Believe me when I tell you that 50 grand a year on paper will actually be more like 35 grand a year in your pocket if everything goes smoothly and perfect. If that's your idea of good money then the trucking overlords have done their job and hooked another big fish.

icsheeple Thanks this.
  7. Braylean

Sep 10, 2013
    I have lived 27 years of my life making less than fifty grand a year, have a great wife I have had for 25 of those years, 2 great boys now grown, a 2 story 4 bedroom home in a great small town and though like every one else, I wouldnt mind making more and I likely will, but whats your point? You saying you're better than me or what? If your expenses are covered, you have emergency money put back and your happy with whats left, then what does it matter??.

I don't think .90cpm is great, but if a driver is happy with what he or she is making and they are coming out the back end with a usable truck then they can move on and make the better money. I see no need to insult people just because they are fighting tooth and nail to make a dream come true and they don't make as much as me.

rckbottom and T_TRUCKER. Thank this.
  8. Braylean

Sep 10, 2013
    By the way, I work in the oil industry and when it picks back up if I chose to wait it out, I will likely make twice what you do, but I don't consider you lower than me. I just consider myself lucky (at least before oil prices tanked) to have landed this job. And yup, I am trying to get in a lease truck right now while oil is low, but I am looking into pick you're own load percentage programs and when the truck is paid off, I will buy a pneumatic or suction pump and come right back here and haul sand or haul water and make $110 + an hour doing it. No overload hooked me, I worked for my connections that will insure my future. So good luck to ya

9. insertnamehere

Dec 16, 2013
    Hey ########, I'm 2 steps ahead of you. Look at my profile picture, both of my pneumatics are paid for. I got out here at the beginning of the boom 5 years ago. The boom is over and now the budget haulers have shown up. Oh and 110 an hour aint sh1t, we were getting 150.

10. missouritrucker

missouritrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Cummings, KS
    Yeah but you have to figure coming from a company driver perspective. Making a grand or so per week is alot better than making company wages and you're working towards owning the truck, versus when you are a company driver you are still technically paying for the truck for the company by keeping it rolling but you aren't gaining any equity in the truck.

itaff Thanks this.
  11. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    not with the company I was with when still OTR, I'd clear a grand a week, .90 CPM is crap, but if your happy with it? then it's all good, best of luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.