STARTING A NEW CAREER WITH JBH

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by GCDMN., Feb 21, 2016.

1. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    I am signed on to do the Mission Foods dedicated regional account out of New Brighton Mn so i thought i would document this journey for the curious from the start and report as regularly as i can on here. I leave for Cedar Rapids Iowa tomorrow and orientation starts monday and suppose to go till wednesday. Hotel is paid but double occupency unless you want to pay an additional $26 bucks a night for your own room. Think im gonna chance it and cross my fingers on the roomate. He's gonna have to put up with my snoreing so im bringing baggage into this also. Breakfast is covered by hotel and lunch is covered by JBH so i just need to cover dinner each night. Orientation pay is a whopping 7.25 an hour so that kinda sucks but o well. I could have got a free bus ticket but i declined. Its about a 280 mile drive for me so im just gonna swap my pickup for my daughters saturn and drive myself. Since they offered a bus ticket Im working on getting reimbursed for the drive but havent heard back yet and kinda doubtfull that will happen.
    Just a little bit about me. Im not a brand new driver but only have had my cdl for 14 months. This is a second carreer for me because up untill the summer of 2013 i was a golf course superintendent for 18 years. My course was turned to houses and i went on to large golf cart distributer and was there for 2.5 years and that is where i stumbled into my CDL. Now i think/hope im ready to go from driving a truck for my job to being a truck driver. From what im being told its not like im gonna be living in the truck so definately not like the hardcore OTR'ers out there anyways.

horsecrazychic22 and T_Bone Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nicknack

nicknack Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2013
    There's a thread on here about JBH orientation, I highly recommended for anyone considering JBH to read it, wouldn't want drivers thinking that they automatically have the job only to have JBH pull the bait and switch. Good luck in your endeavors

4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Often they put you in a truck there, so are you sure you wouldn't prefer to take the shame train?

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  5. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    Good luck to you sir! Keep us posted.

As for the bait n switch, if Mission foods is what you applied for then that is what you want. Don't let them force you into another situation. I have been with JB for almost 6 years and love it.

DRAGON64, horsecrazychic22 and rachi Thank this.
  6. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    He is on a dedicated account so they probably have trucks at his local terminal already.

7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Makes sense.

8. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Made the drive and checked in late. Initially I was really worried about the bait and switch but what helped a lot was when the fleet or account manager (can't remember what title he told me) from Mission contacted me (with a local phone number) saying he saw I'm on the orientation list and asked me if I have any questions. I actually brought up the bait and switch routine that all these companies are known for and he assured me they need drivers and there is a space for me on this account and explained a bit about what the schedule could/should be. He wasn't 100% sure when I'd start training. Either Thursday the 25th or Saturday the 27th. Since I was told I wasn't leaving in a truck I drove thinking that if it all went to pot I could just bolt outa here real quick.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    DRAGON64 and horsecrazychic22 Thank this.
  9. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Day 1 orientation went well. Kinda like closing on a house, lots of signatures. Watched a few videos. Those pr guys earn there pay. The history of Johny Bryan and the JBH story is pretty well done and even a bit inspirational. Did urinalicist and folical sample plus a light personal performance physical test. Went over beni's and perks. They have a drivers legal plan that's pretty interesting. Basically a DOT lawyer retainer program. So far so good.

DRAGON64 and horsecrazychic22 Thank this.
  10. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Also I lucked out. My roommate sprung for his own room so I have a single for no charge. When I arrived it was late and the desk girl said she doubted anyone would show up after me. There is only 4 of us here. 9 where scheduled. The food is great also. Nice full breakfast buffet and the lunch was very good too. This is a full banquet facillity. Chef and all.

11. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Finally I'm still very pleased with what I'm being told about the account I'm going too. If there is anyone reading this that lives in Iowa you should check into the regional intermodal out of Cedar Rapids. Being told it's the highest avg pay in all of JBH. Think he said top 10% are doing 80k. Have to have a Iowa license.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.