STARTING A NEW CAREER WITH JBH

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by GCDMN., Feb 21, 2016.

1. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Finally today I think I've mentioned this and know lots of other people do also but be sure you keep good track and a record of ur loads and work. Payroll mistakes are not uncommon. I've never had any pushback on when I've called them on it so I'm 99% percent sure it's just unintentionall mistakes made on administration end. The accounts can get pretty chaotic at times. They've even offered up comchecks to make it up immediately when it's happened. Make sure if they offer you one its not a advance from next check cuz that's happened once to. Maybe all this is cuz there's 26000 people to be paid every week.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Been awhile. i have another trainee. First one didn't end up takeing the job. I made a huge navigation mistake my last run with new guy. Good thing I had him with cuz it was a turnable 550 mile 3 stopper thru Iowa and with my screw up I wouldn't have had a chance of turning it. Me and this new guy can't catch a break leavin Mission. 3-4 hours late every run we've done. Production issues mostly but marker light issues one night. That's only second time in 3 months I've had significant trailer issues needing road service.

4. Lamppa

Lamppa Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Fargo, ND
    these are fun to read- -I can follow your path through the story. sounds like the equipment is pretty solid, you have limited downtime due to breakdowns.

scottlav46 and horsecrazychic22 Thank this.
  5. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Thanks, our equipment is pretty solid. Even our oldest trucks are 2012's with about 500k wich are kinda backups but most are 13s with 2-300k. Occasional older dry van trailers. I went to Chicago with a older trailer and was stumped on moving the tandems till a yard guy pointed at the mechanical lever between the duals making me feel really stupid. Most are lift gate trailers and with the rust factor up here they seem to rotate them out pretty good. I still haven't figured out how to turn on the lights inside the trailers. We don't have a service yard so that kinda stinks when I have to call road service to fix marker lights. Took close to 3 hours and I'm sure a yard would have had me going in 45 minutes at the most.

6. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    Things have slowed a little. Last week I think I only did about 2100 and 9 deliveries but I picked up 1 and a half spotting shifts with a special delivery and pickup of a trailer that turned into a bit of a wild goose chase. Plus I got training pay for the runs I had so my pay check was still up there.

7. Lamppa

Lamppa Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Fargo, ND
    I work in the shop. Any shop guy should be happy to help you operate the equipment, if you ask. He should have a good attitude about it too. By helping you, he is lessening the chances he will have to repair stuff.

8. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'm very lucky to have this account in my area. It has to be one of JBHs highest pay rates. im not doing anything special, I haven't had a lot of requests for specific days off or times I can and can't work. I'm taking everything they give me and don't complain and they aren't pushing me to do more so that's cool. Still haven't fell into a static or regular schedule of runs. Throw out my first 2 weeks cuz of training and I'm averaging $995.60 take home per week. I'm on pace to net over 51k and that is about what I grossed last year at my old job.

9. Lamppa

Lamppa Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Fargo, ND
    That's way more than I make.

10. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    So far this jobs been really good. I don't love it but I don't hate it either. The pay is very good I feel and I only complain about not loving it cuz before this I spent 20 years working at golf courses. Tough to beat that but I never made more than 56 doing that.

11. GCDMN.

GCDMN. Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Minnesota
    This week I've had 2 longer runs so far. Both 3 stoppers. One ending up in Bismarck ND, and the other to Chicago area. Unfortunately I was around Ohair airport during evening rush hour. That was brutal. So far I have 1800 miles and 6 deliveries and I'm on the list for tomorrow. Lot of daylight driving this week also wich is a nice change. Was on a nice senic route this morning. Illinois highway 2 I think going north out of Dixon. Pretty drive but literally no shoulder so at night or in weather a bit of a white knuckler I bet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.