starting at schneider. Advice??

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by truckerdude48, Dec 18, 2015.

1. truckerdude48

truckerdude48 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I am starting orientation at schneider on december 29 2015 in green bay. I drove for Swift in 2012 and actually enjoyed it. I was happy with Swift and if I was ever asked which company someone should start with, I would say Swift. That might change after my experience with Schneider but who knows. I left Swift in early 2013 after only 2 months of being solo. I got a local job and worked there until recently when I was let go. I had the option to go back to Swift and seriously considered it but after reading many good reviews and because of the choice program, I opted to go to schneider. I am looking for fellow drivers to give me advice on a few things.

ONE: how do you handle the boredom during resets?

TWO: how do you stay healthy on the road, cooking, eating, physical fitness?

THREE: how long should i stay a company driver until i transition over to IC?

FOUR: when I transition to IC, should I go onto the millage program or opt for their choice program right away?

I do know what life is like OTR, now I am just curious how to make the best of it!! Thanks for reading and for the advice!! be safe out there, I will try to keep everyone updated in this thread about my Schneider experience. Thanks again

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Best of luck to you.

4. truckerdude48

Dec 16, 2015
    thank you

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Try not to if you can. Work about 8 hours a day and you can work forever without a resets. But if you must, do laundry, stock up on food, clean the truck, play on the laptop and rest.

Cook instead if buying fast food, get that 12v lunch box, make chilli, hotdog, rice, steam veggies. When I was with Schneider it was kinda hard to be physically active but walk laps around truck stop or bike

6. MilkyJay

MilkyJay Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Everywhere you want to be
    As far as resets, if you are an ic, I'd recommend at least having a truck with a diesel apu for resets. And imo, if you work 8-9 hours a day, yea you can work 7 days a week but you will also be missing out on 7 hours a week you could be running. So unless you enjoy working everyday of the week and having a smaller settlement, go for it. If you can run a bunch of loads and use up your time in 5 days, reset and start again, you will gross more a year. And work a whole lot less as far as days per. year

7. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Run the truck like you own it. Like you are paying for the fuel. And don't focus too much on the IC just yet. Handle your business. Keep the truck upright and ding free. Deliver on time and manage your clock. Start keeping a log of places you deliver to, weights, wait times if live load/live unload, can help you later on.

8. truckerdude48

Dec 16, 2015
    great advice, thanks everyone!!! keep it up!

9. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Verizon or AT&T

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You chose wisely; Swift now has driver facing cameras and sound monitoring in the truck; can hear you talking.

11. MilkyJay

MilkyJay Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Everywhere you want to be
    Can they hear you making love?:confused:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.