Starting at Swift Academy in Fontana

Discussion in 'Swift' started by WannaBeMe, Mar 20, 2015.

1. WannaBeMe

WannaBeMe Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Day 1 is complete. It consisted of a lot of hurry up to waiting and paperwork. It was about as exciting as watching paint dry on a cold a rainy day. With that said our class probably started with around 50 people and we're down to about 20-25. Some skipped out before the drug test and the others were sent home for not passing the DOT physical. I'm sure we'll probably lose a few more when the drug tests come back in a few days. Some pretty cool people in our class. A few weird ones too. Tomorrow we will spend 10 hours doing permit practice tests. Should be a hoot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HousTank

HousTank Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I went to the Swift Academy when it was still in San Antonio TX. Class started with 32 and only 8 survived to get their CDL.

I was the only one still with Swift one year later.

4. TheTacoTruck

TheTacoTruck Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Just finished in Fontana,
    My only real complaint was the shuttle. Don't hold it against the drivers tho, its usually out of their control. The roach coach that arrives is surprisingly edible, i'd recommend the carnitas plate. I'd also recommend not bringing anything to put into that students fridge downstairs. I don't think it has ever been cleaned out, pretty sure you can find a couple new forms of life inside :biggrin_25523:

If you're a quick learner you should do fine. Find a small group of like minded students that are serious about learning and stick with them for pretrip/airbrakes. Don't stress on anything, you'll have plenty of time to learn and all the yard instructors are quite good at what they do. If you have any questions don't be afraid to pull them aside and ask for clarification on anything. If you have the chance volunteer for the swing shift, those instructors are a bit more relaxed and there will be a decent chance you'll get more time in the truck.

Tomorrow you will meet Juan, his voice will haunt you in your sleep.

5. WannaBeMe

WannaBeMe Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Thanks for the insight. I've already become friends with the taco Man. Had the carnitas tacos the first day and carnitas fries today. I'll be volunteering for the swing shift for sure. I figure if i can drive at night i can drive during the day and more time behind the wheel! Off to post today's update.

6. WannaBeMe

WannaBeMe Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Day 2: We went over practice tests for General knowledge, combination vehicles, air brakes, and class C licenses. Over and over and over again until we couldn't see straight. It was less boring than yesterday. We all seem to have found our "groups" and cliques so to speak. I have to say for the most part we have a really great group of guys (and 2 other women). Surprisingly, or not surprisingly if you know me well enough I'm hanging with the guys. It is really amazing how it works when you take a group of people who don't know each other, may or may not have common interests, but are all working towards the same goal can become such a close knit group of friends in such a short time. I've met a few that I'm sure I'll still be in contact with long after school is over. Tonight 3 of us ended up meeting at the hotel where some of them were staying for a study group. They had a pool and Jacuzzi so of course I was like "I'm going in!" And so, we did. All 3 of us. Best.Study.Group.Ever. I feel confident I'll pass the test tomorrow and am looking forward to getting out on the range and behind the wheel of the truck on Saturday!

(I am copying and posting this from my facebook page so if anything seems out of place that is why.)

7. WannaBeMe

WannaBeMe Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Just passed my permit test first try. Feeling great! One step closer to getting behind the wheel!

kw9's rock Thanks this.
  8. seabring

seabring Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Congratulations that's awesome!
    best of luck with it all.
    just out of interest (I'm Canadian) what all do they teach you down in the usa to get your cdl? Sounds like you guys have classes and schools etc, most of us just learned to drive truck on farms or construction jobs up here in Canada. My first job trucking was hauling liquid fertilizers for a farmer with double tanker sets ..."here's the keys, follow him" was the training lol

9. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Are you currently driving for Swift, or have you gone to another company?

10. WannaBeMe

WannaBeMe Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I posted something the other day or at least I thought I did. Anyways I'm going into week 3. I'm doing great with driving and ok on my skills. I'm struggling a bit with my parallel parking. I had orientation yesterday and today and will have one more day tomorrow. I will take my cdl test on Friday. I'm hoping beyond all hope that I pass. The only thing that concerns me is that darn parallel park. If I set up properly it goes in the box just fine. I'm having trouble figuring out how to "fix" myself though if I'm not quite right. So far I have LOVED the schooling through TDA school (which is contracted with swift). I have been impressed with their professionalism as well as their actual training. So far I am impressed with Swift and their orientation. They see to have stepped it up from years past. I really like how big they are on safety. I am well aware that there will be some speed bumps being with a mega carrier, but that is to be expected. Everyone send me some prayers, good Karma, luck or whatever else you have to send to me on Friday for my DMV test. If I pass I should be out with a mentor on Friday or Saturday.

momluvschloe Thanks this.
  11. momluvschloe

momluvschloe Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2015
    Texas
    good luck with your test on friday!

i am in my first week @ TDA school for swift here in Dallas

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.