Starting off fresh

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by sappersteve, Sep 22, 2015.

1. sappersteve

sappersteve Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Durham, NC
    Hi all, wanted to introduce myself. I'm Steve. I am in my first week of CDL school with Roadmaster in Dunn, NC. I got out of the Army in June and went to work as a superintendent at an insulation company. The money was okay but I missed the adventure of being in the Army, and my boss wasn't the greatest, not to mention they had some shady business practices. I was driving a box truck delivering insulation material to guys out at construction sites, doing safety inspections, and a bunch of computer work. Two weeks ago my boss said that the corporate office was wondering why there hadn't been as big of an improvement that had been promised at our branch and that my position was going to go away. I decided right then to do what I had thought about doing for 3 years and get into the transportation industry. I talked to a close family friend that works with a flatbed company and it sounds right up my alley. I like doing physical labor and I don't mind doing it in heat, cold, or in bad weather. I applied to TMC today and I'll be looking into other flatbed companies as I go on with training. If anyone can throw some advice my way it is always appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    TMC is OK to get started with; those fancy trucks are a good recruiting tool.

Waggoners Trucking Co. recently started hiring new CDL grads; very diversified company as to what they haul. Sprinter vans on flatbed, oil field supplies such as pipe, etc. and lots of other freight.

Howard Transportation - private flatbed fleet for Howard Industries. Haul lots of electrical stuff nationwide, such as transformers.

Probably won't hear about these companies in school because CDL schools usually try to steer the students to certain companies.

MSS and sappersteve Thank this.
  4. MSS

MSS Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Hagerstown,MD
    Hey brother thanks for your service, as Chinatown said those companies that advertise in the smorgasbord at the truck stops are alright to get started with. Some make a career out of it completely into what you want if you like it. There is a huge driver shortage right now so should be plenty of opportunity for you. I got started out with Schneider hauling for their Wal-mart account. Liked it a lot but the pay was a starter pay (.26 cpm I think) Do your homework think about what your willing to give up at home leave on Sunday night early Monday morning may not get home til late fri or early sat and back out Sunday and how much money you need to make. I use to drive for Maverick which is comparable to TMC good company got home every weekend. nice equipment. Would make it nice and easy for you to get started to see if you like it on the road. As I have stated before on here it is what you make it. Will be a lot of nay-sayers on here and some that offer some blood sweat and tears advice. However their not living in your shoes take the advice and run with it. ( Remember how you felt the first day at boot camp).

5. HiTeK

HiTeK Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I assume Yu have the gi bill,,
    If so ,, look for a company that has an apprenticeship program
    You use yur gi bill to get education money !!!
    You know about this , right??
    Pays %80 for 6 months
    %60 for 6 months
    %40 for 6 months
    In addition to your regular pay
    The % is of E-5 BAH FOR YOUR OR YOUR COMPANYS LOCATION
    Depending on your location you could be banking an extra $1200-$1300 monthly!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.