Starting off with Schneider OTR

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Friday, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Well, my second post here on TTR and it's more so to keep a diary of my adventures and hopefully get some advice from some experienced people once in a while!

Started Schneider orientation this Tuesday for OTR. Have to do 18 day orientation since I've just graduated from a driving academy.. Swift Driving Academy (and yes, there's totally a post about my experience there). So far, loving Schneider. Comparing them to that big white thing... It's not even a contest.

I'm not going to go into what happens during orientation. Just let's say that I'm learning quite a bit, I'm really enjoying my time with my trainer and I'm also quite excited that he's already signed off on my driving to clear me to go out with the other trainer for a week.

As far as why Schneider? Well. For one, they offered me more money than anyone else. With prior military, I'm starting off at the same rate as if I'd had 1 year of experience. So .38 + .02 safety bonus. Can't complain. And also.. I like pumpkins. And my college is orange... Now all I need is a blue tractor and I'll be the biggest UVa fan on the road!

It was ... ... ... interesting that my second day in Charlotte there was a Swift accident 2 miles from the hotel. Horrible thing, mentor dead, trainee is in the hospital... Certainly makes me feel like I dodged a huge bullet there.

Bosscity318, Grijon and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Glad you're enjoying yourself. Best of luck to you and please stay safe out there.

4. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Schneider offered more money than anybody else?
    First time i read those words in 3 years on this fourm

5. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Thank you!

Well. Let's put it this way. For my requirements and timeframe they were the highest. I have 0 experience in any class A vehicle, I have absolutely no desire to run as a team and I'm not 100% on whether this will be a career that I'll love or a job that I'll tolerate.

So let's see some options.

Swift - .37/mi after in solo status but at least a month of team like driving with a mentor which would have paid $9.25/hr while driving. And cameras.. Not excited.

Knight - .13/mi for 6 months. Nope.

CR England, Werner.. Some other I can't remember... - 6 months of team. Nope.

Western express - decent pay. New trucks. But when you advertise free tv in your truck it makes me wonder why they're trying to make me comfortable. I'd rather run more miles than sit with tv at a truck stop.

Aibelene - 6 months of training with dinky pay. Great training and awesome company from all I've seen, but.. Cameras as well.

Schneider - 18 day orientation at $80/day. 5 days OTR not as team but two solo drivers in truck. Then .38/mi + .02/mi safety bonus. So far, better than others. It's also the company that throws you in head first and hopefully you don't drown, but I'm a very safe driver and I learn pretty quick.

Also, keep in mind that I've no need to be home every night. Or at all for that matter. So local or regional runs with smaller companies would actually not make me more money even if they paid .05/mi more. Since I'd have to pull my stuff out of storage and start paying rent for some place to sleep.

Either way. I'm not saying Schneider is the be all company of all companies. I'm just saying that with my limited experience and knowledge, they were the best I could find for my situation.

Oh. And like I said before. That orange is worth another .05/mi to me.

gentleroger, 91B20H8 and Grijon Thank this.
  6. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Knight offered you $0.13 a mile for 6 months? :eek:
    Is that some kind of bad joke?

People need to be arrested for offering and/or accepting driving for $0.13

7. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Yep. And they keep on sending me emails every day...

8. milehunter43

milehunter43 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ohio
    The guard at a certain appliance manufacturer told me that a Knight driver asked him how to slide his tandems...

PoleCrusher and Friday Thank this.
  9. Jonkie

Jonkie Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2016
  10. Ketchikan baby

Ketchikan baby Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2015

11. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    No cameras and no voice recorders. Some talk about forward facing cameras in the future

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.