Starting off with Schneider OTR

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Friday, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Yeah essentially. I think I'll go around the country and visit friends with big driveways on my home time for a while :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    If you dont wind up leaving Richmond, you could look and see what trucking companies are in your area. I was having some trouble finding decent TAH parking. After making a dozen calls, I got the OK to park my trailer at a tanker company's yard a few miles down the road from me and I just bobtail home. I had to sign a lease with them since nothing is free in NJ but they don't charge me much since it's only for one or two days a week. You could get lucky and find someone to let you park for free since you'll rarely be there. It's better than parking in some store lot at least.

Friday Thanks this.
  4. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Yeah, that's not a bad idea. As far as big ones, I know Abilene and Swift both have huge lots there, but the only things I'm sure of there is that swift would rather set themselves on fire than let me park there.

It's been a somewhat stressful last few days. Decent miles and I think I've put enough negatives in this thread so far to make it depressing enough. Not that nothing negative has happened lately.

For those reading them and then wondering if I'm going to implode from the stress... While there are plenty of negatives here, I'm still loving every day of this job. There have definitely been a few moments where I caught myself driving down the road with a big #### eating grin on my face and had the thought "I can't believe I'm getting paid to do this". So, as of this moment, I'm not going anywhere :)

Grijon and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  5. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    You're right, I doubt that a mega would let you park it there for insurance reasons and whatever else but I'm sure there are a ton of smaller carriers with space near you. It's not like you'll be parking it everynight.

As for the other stuff, just keep your chin up. I've only been out here for 6 months now so I can't offer up all the good advice as some of the other members here but just keep moving forward and improve your skills each day. I'm in a month long slump myself, dealing with truck issues and an awful amount of live loads, unloads at places have always been a simple drop and hook. That and being stuck in the northeast lately. If you start your day with a bad attitude, it can only get worse from there.

If it makes you feel any better... I wound up in a hospital out in Indiana for 6 days with a severe case of Pneumonia in my right lung and wasnt allowed to go back to work for 2 more weeks. This was on my 4th day as a solo driver! So long story kinda short, it could only have gotten better from there and it has. Even with the slow days. Keep up the good work and take your time in everything you do.

Grijon Thanks this.
  6. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that and glad that it turned out allright. Yeah, the NE is.. I'm still wondering if somewhere in my profile it says "run as NE regional but keep telling him he's OTR".

As far as live unloads.. Yep! Sitting in a dock right now. A dock I got to on time. And in it pretty easily what with a train in the way. And the trailer still hasn't been touched. 6 hours of drive time left, so hopefully I get to use some of it :)
    I am back in NC however. Which is pretty nice. One thing I didn't miss about the south is that it's actually warming up here. I've been getting spoiled with NE temperatures. Went all the way up to Maine this time. And brought back the oldest, most ricketiest trailer that I've seen at Schneider yet. The ones I had in orientation were in better shape than that thing. I wish I'd taken pictures, there seemed to be more rust than metal on it. DOT compliant, but pushing it with every surface. Paper rolls. When I was getting unloaded yesterday, I was half expecting to see the forklift fall out the bottom. Had the popcorn ready and everything.

AM14 and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  7. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    I hear you on the trailers. I haul rolls quite often and have had the same thought about the floor giving out when I get stuck with some of those 9 series trailers. That or getting pulled over for leaving a debris field of rust flakes behind me on the highway. If you don't have a pair of vise grips yet, get some. Most of the high quality trailers on my account require them to even budge the tandems.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  8. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Hahaha yeah I've definitely got a pair. Even though, the only trailer I've had to use them on was a 15.... -_-

On a fun exciting note. On hold with support shift cause somehow I got unassigned from my truck. Was trying to figure out why my preassignment was showing up on the website but not on my Qualcomm and went to the app to reset it.. "You're not currently assigned a power unit"... Ruh roh

9. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
  10. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    Stay logged off & run on a coloring book, yeah buddy

11. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    That happened to me after the Marion shop replaced my screen. Not sure why, since the black box never got touched but I was magically reassigned my power unit about an hour later. I think i logged in and out a few times and waited while the shop blamed tech support, and tech support blamed the shop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.