Starting out for rookies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MACK E-6, Jun 29, 2007.

1. emtfrey15

emtfrey15 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2008
    fort wayne indiana
    i never ran into one but there are alot in fort wayne indiana

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldWrench

OldWrench Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Coulterville, CA
    I’m new to this forum and have read many of the posts here. My situation is this. I have been a truck technician for almost forty years. I’m now retired from the machinist union. I have had a CDL and medical card since 1976. Mainly for road testing trucks and delivering a few. However I hauled logs part time for several years but just don’t care to do that again. I have a clean driving record, never done drugs and don’t drink.

I’m sixty years old and in very good health, I have always wanted to drive over the road. I have enrolled in a truck school even though I have my license it sounds like most companies want school grads. My question is this, will trucking companies hire me at my age and with no over the road experience. I don’t care about starting salary because I have a good union retirement. I have been told that it would be best to start by running sleeper team. Being a technician I have talked to many different drivers and had a multitude of different advice and opinions. Any constructive thoughts and advice on companies that would hire me would be greatly appreciated.

chaser1 Thanks this.
  4. inthewindaz

inthewindaz Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    OK... see you are in CA. We're in similar positions. I'm 57 and haven't driven in 4 years, looking to do so again. Am a biker here in AZ...

...no jobs 'cept maybe Crete and Shaffer hiring here (well Swift is, but no thank you). Since you're already a union guy you may try going to the Teamsters website, which is what I am doing, find the companies that are union, see where each has job openings, and apply. You can also call the local in your area and speak to the drivers rep and ask about openings. Here in AZ it's all layoffs... nada for union jobs. Out your way in CA I believe Schneider is hiring, and they are supposed to have a good training program. Also think they have a school as well. And Crete and Shaffer are supposed to be pretty decent also.

Read this forum alot before a decision... trust me, you'll change your mind 100 times... there is a thread on here "Trucking company DAC Reports" ... read it. It lists info on many companies by company name. And read thru the threads on good and bad companies... and ask lots of questions. I know I have pissed off a few drivers a bit, not on purpose, because I am long winded (my mc club road name is "Jawbones".. lol)... and am niot fond of the "driver mill companies". Just take it for fact also that 95% of everything a recruiter tells you... is a lie. Trust the drivers on here... most are very straight foreward.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Roy Boy Thanks this.
  5. stereobiomace713

stereobiomace713 Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Victoria, BC.
    I have had a couple of them approach my truck, which is by far the most difficult to deal with when you're trying to catch some sleep, little lone worrying about people touching the door of the truck, when next thing is you think you're back at some warehouse, and the staff is knocking. Lot lizards are nightmares, I told the last one, that~ "My girlfriend works inside the Truck Stop, if she finds out you're here working, I don't know what she'll do..?"

"Oh, yeah, sweetie, what's your girlfriend's name and who's your girlfriend?"

"Listen, if she sees you here next to my truck, she's prolly going to kick your ###, so just leave already, SEE byE~"

6. Roy Boy

Roy Boy Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Greenwood, Florida
    I have been reading this forum now for hours! I have changed my mind several times! I am also a biker here in florida and have never been so confused, I am trying to find out which companies will pay for CDL classes!

7. inthewindaz

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Man.. you go that route and they have you by the 'nads... that is the driver mill companies that offer that so watch out. If you go to their school, you are contracted with them and you're stuck with them, like them or not. If at all possible, pay for the CDL school yourself or get a loan from your family or something. Also, make sure the school is approved by the industry; Not all are.

Find companies you think you might like and go to their websites where they will typically show you where they hire from. I think some better companies that hire from FL are Roehl, Crete, Schneider, TMC... not all have schools though (Roehl and Schneider do). Also, check out union jobs as they pay better...but are hard to find now and usually are in the mid west it seems. There is a union forum on here it is interesting.

Just keep reading here... one thing I have been doing is contacting smaller companies, many advertised on Craigslist. May have a job offer this week from a flatbed operation that is owned by a steel manufacturer... small and family owned. Flatbed is harder work, but it pays alot more also. I'm 57 and told I can do it, so... lol... we'll see. Good luck.

8. Nomadbeginner

Nomadbeginner Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2008
    La Grande, Oregon

In Oregon, a Crane is another school and more licensing :biggrin_25526:

9. chaser1

chaser1 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2008
    detroit,michigan
    I have been told by a few recruiters that the only thing companies will hire are team drivers or for OTR. They also told me to get at least one year, if not more, of OTR before changing companies.

I have one company near Flint, Michigan that will hire you IF you go through THEIR training school--they will hire you for their regional (?) runs. Otherwise. they want you to have one year OTR--preferably a month or two Past your one year OTR experience/anniversary.

10. inthewindaz

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    OTR yes... team drivers...no... there are solo OTR jobs with several companies... sometimes you might get lucky with a dedicated that gets you home often...but not usually.

11. chaser1

chaser1 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2008
    detroit,michigan
    :biggrin_25515:

Sounds good to me !
    Solo OTR ...okay. Wish I could take a pet with me...even if it is a Goldfish !!!

As long as I have "good"' coffee and/ or a good cup of soup....I KNOW I will be okay ! :yes2557:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.