Starting Own Hotshot/Hauling Business

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Tom2506, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Tom2506

Tom2506 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Wondering if anyone has any experience running on their own. I've purchased a truck all set (2011 Dually Dodge one ton) all ready to go with rails and slip tank. Have a chance at buying the trailer that was used previously with this truck which is a 53' car wedge for a very good price all ready to go as well. Previous owner of the truck said he sold this truck to pick up a semi. I'm trying to find loads but not having the best luck on load boards. Would you go out to dealers and ask to haul their cars across the country? I'm up in Northern Alberta. I'm in the midst of pricing out insurance and all the paper work needed. I do have my truck and trailer licence already, and have been in the oilfield for the last two years. Looking to open a business and see if this could turn out good or will I turn belly up within a year? Truck and trailer are both already commercially inspected and still valid. This truck and trailer combo has hauled 3-4 cars at a time across Canada for the last year. If anyone has any pointers to someone just starting out or looking to start out in the business i'm all ears for listening.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I wouldn't have bought a pre-owned truck that has been used for hauling in the past. Could get expensive real fast. Progressive is about the only company that will cover you if your new to cdl driving. Hopefully your driving record is clean and you have good credit.

4. Tom2506

Tom2506 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Yes, there is always risk in buying a pre-owned hauling truck but i'm fine with taking that risk for now to get started and see if there's somewhere for me to move up in. I have had my truck license for two years and done a lot of oilfield driving with that. Have a perfectly clean personal and commercial record, and have very good credit.

5. 09Big Ray

09Big Ray Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2015
    What do your credit have to do with getting insurance im in the middle of getting starting as well

6. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Talk to the dealers and find out how they're getting their cars to their dealerships from the auctions. Talk to the auction companies and see if they can hook you up with dealers or allow you to advertise with them.

7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Insurance companies use it to decide what kind of a person you are.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  8. David Shermazanashvili

David Shermazanashvili Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Hello evereybody

So I am going to start 3 car hauling business with Chevrolet silverado and what have to to to start that business? I am living in NJ and get ready to start business. from beginning what I have to do?

please help and sheare your experiences to me. thanks a lot

9. David Shermazanashvili

Jan 16, 2016
    And how much mony I neew for everythink. what payments I have for every each section?

10. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hmmm. I used to charge $250 per hour to create business and marketing plans.

11. David Shermazanashvili

Jan 16, 2016
    really? what kinf of processes I have to pass for that?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.