Starting Own Hotshot/Hauling Business

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Tom2506, Sep 9, 2015.

1. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Start with 40 years experience in marketing snd sales. :cool:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. David Shermazanashvili

David Shermazanashvili Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2016
    so I have to version to take car. dodge ram 5500 or chevy silverado HD3500 duramax and which xar is better for 3 hauler trailer?

4. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    If you plan on hauling 3 vehicles at a time you should go with the Ram 5500. Better braking, stronger frame, heavier duty suspension.

5. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    If you going to spend on a dodge 5500 , might as well buy a single axle with air ride.
    Only thing 550 will give you is a bigger payment and set of hemorrhoids.

6. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Actually you can get a 5500 with air ride now. So, now I guess your just stuck with a big payment or big repair bills on a single axle.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  7. David Shermazanashvili

David Shermazanashvili Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2016
    No i must comparing 2 model. Some of told me that buy chevy and some told buy dodge. I do not know. I am atarting this ne business now and this is a reason to buy new car. I do not want to stuck on the begining. If i will buy used car i do not know owner how he take care of this car and what past it had. And new one i know that this is new and it have waranty. What prons an cons have each car?

8. Not_Here_Long

Sep 7, 2015
    Warranty means nothing if truck is in shop more than making money. New truck payments are harder to make in this economy. Most don't last more than the first 18 months. Most 350's weren't never used that much if an individual owned them. 450 & 550's ride like wagons and mileage is less per mile.
    I'd look for a low mileage 350 that was owned by an individual. Most start with unrealistic expectations and go broke quick. I live close to an auction place and there's always new carriers in there. The ones who I see last the longest have the older trucks. trucks seem to get damage quick pulling wedges for some reason and they seem to never have money to fix them. I do some research if I was you, did see one guy in Savannah had an flat two car hauler could bring two down and carry and empty container back.

9. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    There are two big reasons people fail in this business. The first is they have no idea how to run a business. They go out and buy a truck and trailer and hope for the best. They don't know there true costs to run and operate at a profit. There are a lot of hot shot and big rig truckers that are clueless at the business end of things. They have a class A license and they believe that because they can drive they can run there own business also.

The second is that most new hot shot startups have no money in the bank. They put everything they have into getting started. The when things slow down, or repairs are needed they have no cash to keep going. They are forced to take low paying loads just to keep up with the payments and repairs. Once this starts its very difficult to ever get out the rut.

10. Not_Here_Long

Sep 7, 2015
    And your second paragraph is why I sit a lot now days. If you don't make enough per mile to cover paying yourself and the cost of operating eventually the wheels come off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.