Starting up as a new owner op

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dboki09, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Dboki09

Dboki09 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before. My contract in a o/o lease program is up in a year and I'm thinking of buying my own truck. Although I don't know if I should or can even survive. I'm getting custody of my kids, and as a single father I won't be able to do the longer hauls. I'd need to be home nightly. Is it even possible to survive in the business that way? How would I even go about finding a broker or loads? Using load boards?

I'm basically seeking advice on whether or not my idea is even feasible. Since I got into the lease program, it's been something I've wanted to do. Buy my own truck and have my own business and freight. But the addition of seeking custody of my kids had thrown my whole idea for a loop.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Man, don't do this to your kids. They need someone who is THERE. Just don't do it.

ramblingman Thanks this.
  4. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Yes, it has been answer before but since you haven't taken the time to search, which is an indication that maybe you be just a bit on the lazy side, I will answer it again.

1.) You have to have your own authority. That process is expensive. How to threads are on this site. Also OOIDA has a free education site. Check it out.

2.) Load Boards are broker loads. Brokers do not add to the equation they subtract from it. They take a cut out of your pay because you don't have your own customers.

3.) Lots of brokers won't deal with you right away. So, buy your truck. Join yourself to a larger company that has a Power only division. Pull their trailers and let them find your loads. This will let your DOT number age. Put in 6 months.

4.) Safety audit. Get that out of the way.

5.) Find your customers, buy or lease a trailer that your customers need.

6.) File bankruptcy.

ramblingman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.