Starting up as a new owner op

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dboki09, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Dboki09

Dboki09 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before. My contract in a o/o lease program is up in a year and I'm thinking of buying my own truck. Although I don't know if I should or can even survive. I'm getting custody of my kids, and as a single father I won't be able to do the longer hauls. I'd need to be home nightly. Is it even possible to survive in the business that way? How would I even go about finding a broker or loads? Using load boards?

I'm basically seeking advice on whether or not my idea is even feasible. Since I got into the lease program, it's been something I've wanted to do. Buy my own truck and have my own business and freight. But the addition of seeking custody of my kids had thrown my whole idea for a loop.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    Might be est to get a local job.

ExOTR Thanks this.
  4. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    To each there own there is no way I would do O/O.Look for a home daily be there with your kids.youll be glad you did later

CJndaTruck, Dboki09 and Toomanybikes Thank this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    What's your home 20? If there are some pipe yards or a port nearby, MAYBE...but even without a truck note, thats a tough way to make a living as the pay is low and maintenance costs are high.

6. Xzay

Xzay Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    What's wrong with owner op

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Depends where you live. Some areas have a lot of local hauls where you could run a day cab and make good money. Or even run a small sleeper truck and home every other night. I have an account on DAT I use to research and there is a lot of short haul business out there.

Dboki09 Thanks this.
  8. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Local construction , belly haul or dump .

Dboki09 Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wow dude, its your kids, get a local job and stop trying to find a way to be an owner operator. Focus on the kids.

TruckDrivingtn and Dboki09 Thank this.
  10. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Don't understand people in this career.You say your a single father.get a job that your home with your kids with benefits.Trying to justify something you want to do and try to find someone to say it's a good ideal is crazy. You know what you need to do.You need to raise your kids don't pass them off on someone else.there time to do what you want after.A truck isn't as important as your children

Ruthless and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Absolutely nothing. Folks do have a problem with Lease Operator agreements. If you become a true owner operator that is leased to a company that compensates you fairly, it can be lucrative. Most major carriers advertise about $0.90 a mile plus fuel surcharge. You WON'T be very successful on that kind of revenue.

Dboki09 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.