Starting with Melton

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rookietrucker89, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Rookietrucker89

Rookietrucker89 Light Load Member

May 22, 2015
    I'm starting orientation on Monday with Melton. Because I already have driving experience they are sending me to dallas to learn load securement, tarping, and so forth. Thereafter I'm getting my truck and headed out. So, the point of this thread?

I'm really, really nervous about this. Can anyone help with the expectations of what I'm getting myself into? I more or less than nervous that I'll get booted over something really stupid and I cannot afford to lose this oppurtunity! So, does anyone else have any tips, suggestions, or thoughts to help me get through the following week?

Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    What are you nervous about?

I will say this pulling a flat isn't for everyone.

4. Rookietrucker89

May 22, 2015
    I'm just nervous that they won't like the way that I lift a tarp or something and boot me out. Or something else stupid. I think I'll enjoy flatbedding, it'll be tough, but fun. Beats driving a dry box any day anyways.

Jonte Thanks this.
  5. Trucker Paul

Trucker Paul Medium Load Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Westland,Mi
    I'll just say I wish you luck

Rookietrucker89 Thanks this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I think you will find that fellow flatbedders are very helpful. If you have questions about how to secure a load when you are solo ask someone. Often the forklift driver can tell you how others do it.

Read through the entire load securement thread on the flatbed forum. Purchase a copy of the load securement handbook.

You'll find that shippers and receivers are happy to see you, unlike the world of dock banging.

7. westcoast

westcoast Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2010
    los angeles, ca
    You be fine. Ask lot of question on securement. That is one of most important thing in flatbed. I used to
    work for them yrs back. My DM was very nice. I quite, because back then freight was slow, maybe due
    to recession. If you enjoy physical work, this maybe for you. I find out that most of flatbed driver out there
    are very nice. when I was at shipper or receiver. If I don't think I don't think I do it correctly. I usually ask
    flatbed driver next to me and they usually be glad to help you out. I think the first they do is have you take road test. Flatbed back up is a little different because of rear tandom. Then they would have you take physical test,
    of which you have to lift 90 lbs tarp. Other then that., just try to enjoy your orientation and put on the learn hat.
    If you enjoying it, you learn a lot more than if you were to be nervous. Good luck on your venture.

Rookietrucker89 and Jonte Thank this.
  8. Patronas01

Patronas01 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2014
    California
    I work for Melton, and if you are not afraid of working you'll be fine. You don't need to be nervous at all, you already know how to drive, so you are ahead of most of the guys in the orientation.
    In Dallas they will teach you the basics and as you get out there you'll learn the rest.
    Securement shouldn't be a problem if you are not sure and there is no other driver around to ask, then there is a manual that Melton gives you, if that still doesn't help, you can call safety and they will help you. Tarping this time of the year it's going to take longer with the cold the tarps will be frozen and the bunjee's will loose some of their elasticity.
    So welcome to Melton and trust me you'll be fine, if you ever need any help out there just PM me and i'll give you my phone #.

9. sprayed150

sprayed150 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Fort Lauderdale Fl
    Have warm clothes

-melton guy in the snow

10. Rookietrucker89

May 22, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm leaving now to Dallas. I'll be there about 5-6 am. Looks like I've got some homework to do on reading up on load securement. Thanks again!

11. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    The green book will be your friend

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.