Starting with Roehl in February

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by RoseWild, Oct 14, 2016.

1. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    Tarping in 10 below with a 40 mph wind gust. No thanks. Roehl offered me that and I passed. I knew flatbed was NOT 4 me after 8 weeks of training for Howard Transportation in Laurel MS.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RoseWild

RoseWild Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    I hear flatbeads are rough but they pay more. Now I understand why.

KF7WTV Thanks this.
  4. Picinisco

Picinisco Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah, been looking at videos. Seems like an hours hard labour before driving and earning your pay

KF7WTV Thanks this.
  5. gntorres61

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    Open the doors, close the doors. All I want to do. Leave that skateboarding for the younger guys.

RoseWild Thanks this.
  6. RoseWild

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    I wanted to drive refrigerated national, but my recruiter told me only dry van national is available to me at this time. Would our choice be affected by our home time location?

7. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Probably not, if you're doing national OTR. More likely, your carrier simply doesn't have either the assets or the freight to support it.

Don't let it bother you. Refrigerated doesn't really pay any better, and you tend to spend a lot of time waiting to be live loaded or unloaded. Reefer trailers are expensive, compared to dry box, so there tends to be lot less of drop-and-hook freight. Also, there is the issue of trailers running out of fuel, to deter preloading...

You'll likely be happier in dry box. Less dealing with lumpers and comchecks, and less maintenance issues, too. Even sweeping out trailers is less of a pain, in a dry box, than in a reefer.

RoseWild Thanks this.
  8. CallMeArty

CallMeArty HaMMeRED DoWN

Apr 6, 2010
    TEXAS
    Learning van is probably best IMO for a new driver. Entirely less responsibility for you to encounter. Hone your skills with a van and seek different avenues from there once you gain pure confidence. I learned pulling a reefer. The places you go and the things I had to do to deliver refrigerated freight makes me cringe.

Good luck.

RoseWild Thanks this.
  9. RoseWild

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    Thanks Fatmando and CallMeArty. You're both right. I should learn how to drive the rig first before worrying about what I'm hauling. My father hauled swinging beef. In the end, it's what killed him. And who knows. I may love dry van and never want to switch.

10. gntorres61

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    Not to mention washing out reefer trailers. Waiting in line at the Blue Beacon in Dallas, one time I waited over two hours plus because of a break in winter weather. Also middle of the night pickups and drops are common in reefer too. Had to babysit a few reefer loads. Reefer breaks down in the middle of the night, its Thermoking to the rescue. If you are out of hours, they come to you, otherwise, you take it to them. Dry van, more normal people hours and way more drop and hook, too. Dry van is not a bad place to start. Way less complicated!

RoseWild Thanks this.
  11. RoseWild

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    I need "less complicated" in my life! Works for me!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.