Starting with Schneider on Monday

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by cnelson3225, Mar 17, 2016.

1. cnelson3225

cnelson3225 Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    Hello all!
    I am completely new to trucking, just graduated CDL school in January and I am going to be starting with Schneider as a western regional driver. I am going to Dallas for their three week training then I am going to Salt Lake to meet my driver manager and get my truck and stuff like that. Flying out of Denver Monday (I live in CO) and they apparently want me to drive home in a rental car from Dallas to home for a few days, then drive it to Utah...

So my question to all you other forum goers out there is if there is any interest in me starting a thread of updates as I go through this journey. I know there are many other threads around like that, but none with my specific situation. So raise of hands please! lol I would update whenever I can, WiFi and Verizon willing. :)

Bosscity318, Grijon and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Little Eddy

Little Eddy Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Your lucky that you're going to start out with one of the best DBLs pumpkin has for your first 90...say something positive about the Patriots and you'll get all the miles you want.
    Enjoy Alice's for breakfast.
    Threads of your days and experiences aren't as important as spending the time to figure out this crazy process.
    Just wait for that first time you see your destination off the interstate and the off ramp closed for construction.
    The sound of one of your drives blowing out, the view in your side mirror of shards flying off in all directions and it's 16:00 at the I-25 / I-70 interchange.
    You'll be lucky to find the time for a decent BM, forget posting everyday.
    Good luck

gentleroger and kanidana Thank this.
  4. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Sure. Why not. They always make for interesting reads.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Please do, that is one of the things these forums for.

Welcome and good luck for in your new career.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    That's the most realistic description I've seen of life on the road. I especially love the "time for a decent BM." It was the little things that surprised me the most. I still love it when my BM's match my delivery schedule. I consider it a WIN day. LOL

TheFriscoKid, crazeydude and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  7. cnelson3225

Mar 17, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    lol wasn't exactly the response I was looking for, but I understand what I am getting into. However, based on other posts I have read, I am expecting a lot of boredom in my first week. I all most certainly won't be posting while out driving. Also, where is this Alice's yo speak of? I am intrigued. :D

8. Marky84

Marky84 Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Jefferson, WI
    dont do it, try another place

audeygdad and moosc Thank this.
  9. cnelson3225

Mar 17, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    Dallas Specific info:
    So they are paying for my flight from Denver to Dallas (about $130) because the Greyhound they were originally going to put me on was the same price. They are paying directly (not a reimbursement) for the cab from the airport to the Comfort Inn in Red Oak which is a 40 minute drive, so I am glad I don't have to put out for that. They say the rooms are shared, and boy am I not looking forward to that. From what I can tell on Google it is a nice place in a great location, it is within walking distance to whatever you might want. Restaurants, Walmart, Walgreen's, gas station, etc.
    If you have any questions for me, just post them here and I will try to answer them. :)

Grijon and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. cnelson3225

Mar 17, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    Alice's?

11. Little Eddy

Little Eddy Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Alice's is a pleasant surprise next to the drivers lounge at SLC OC.

Keep your expectations in check, your ears on high alert, and your mouth in neutral. There are more than enough cowboys talking buckets of bs; best to settle back and quietly enjoy the show.
    You will only get about 20% what you need to know regarding the q-com, workflow, permit book and all things leo/dot.
    Don't worry about making money at first...you won't be making much. Stay focused on finding a personal pattern and body schedule that works for you. A pattern that keeps you healthy, rested, happy, engaged, safe and acting like a professional. If you worry too much about miles and money you'll miss the journey and might develope bad habits full of short cuts and risky maneuvers.
    Don't eat the fried foods and carry your own stash of TP; the first time you find yourself at a California rest area without a stash of Charmin in your pocket will be an interesting post for sure.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Reason for edit: Dho
    NCBill, Grijon, crazeydude and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.