Starting with Schneider on Monday

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by cnelson3225, Mar 17, 2016.

1. cnelson3225

cnelson3225 Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    Hey thanks everyone for the advice, it really does mean a lot to me.

Thanks haha

ethos Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cnelson3225

Mar 17, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    So nearing the end of this week, it has all pretty much been in the classroom as you may expect. Now if you ask me, that is the dumbest thing ever. We learned trip planning, ETA/NAT's, and the Qualcomm workflow and navigation. Had I learned all of this before time with the TE it would have saved me so much stress and probably would have made my TE more money, which he told us we were making more with our $80 day rather than our series of short hauls and two hours per day of showing us how to use the Qualcomm.

We had our Qualcomm test today, which was also pretty ridiculous. You have two hour to update an ETA, NAT, accept a preassigned load and go through all the tasks of said load. I finished it in ten minutes, but alas, 7 people out of our class of 17 now completely failed to do it in 2 hours. How the hell are they going to drive a truck? I don't know, and I don't know what happens to them now.

Tomorrow is the main "hands on" test day. A test of your pretrip, couple/uncouple, backing, and road driving. That's it for the morning, then in the afternoon is a short class on how to precisely edit logs. Other wised called a "hard" edit. Finally, on Friday is "graduation." Now the way this goes down for me personally is that me and four other guys that are from the west coast get on a conference call with our DBL and cuss and discuss our arrangements of getting home and to our trucks and so forth. All but one of us west coasties flew in, so there are talks that they may fly us home... Now my recruiter said, and I know that may mean nothing now, that I would get a rental car to drive home, and that makes the most sense. Aaaand I kinda packed for that, meaning that if I fly my bags are going to be overweight from all the paperwork, boots, etc that I accumulated on this nice little vacation and I am sure as hell no paying a $100 baggage fee... So it looks like that if I am going to be flying I am out my whole supply of jeans so I my bags are cheap... So I hope that flying home is just a rumor.

Grijon Thanks this.
  4. Little Eddy

Little Eddy Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    You are indeed a quick study.
    The q-Com 3rd week is a complete waste of time. No one works their day like you have been shown. Reality says there will be pee stops, a dp&hk will involve putting your mt at a door and BT to the reserve lot (2 miles away) for your load that will have to be scaled at the CAT scale over the bridge by the warehouse. Think you will be on line 4 for all these moves? More than a few will try to save their clock with some tricks not covered or taught in week 3.
    LA, Denver, Seattle at rush hour will disrupt the best made trip plan and trash your HOS.
    The silliest part of those 3 weeks is the time spent teaching something so far removed from the real world that one almost imagines it is some kind of insiders joke.
    As for the cannon fodder that can't pass week 3...better they fail there than on an iced over Cabbage headed west with 77k gross. No one gets hurt failing at the "academy".
    Maybe not now, but soon you' ll dream of flying versus driving a 4 wheeler.

A bumbling buracrat once said something wise you should consider.
    "There are the knowns, there are the known unknowns, and there are the unknown unknowns."
    You are about to engage the unknown unknowns; careful to avoid that sign post up ahead that reads, Entering The Twilight Zone.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    lovesthedrive and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  5. Road Jouster

Road Jouster Light Load Member

Welcome and good fortune to you on the endeavor Yes the Comfort Inn is a nice place and recently upgraded or remodeled. The Denny's across the way will offer you a 20% discount if you show your room key. The shared room is not that bad with the right roommate. Weeks 1 and 3 you probably have deferent roommates. My 1st was an okay dude. My 2nd not do much. I was able to finagle another room and reacted.

6. cnelson3225

Mar 17, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    I love the location we are in, walking distance to everything but the oc. I lucked out and had no roommate the 1st week and have one this week. He is an ok guy as we just do our own thing and rarely talk, and I'm ok with that. The only thing I don't like about him is that he goes to bed at 830pm sharp.

7. Road Jouster

Road Jouster Light Load Member

LOL... get used to a change in your sleep routine once you start driving.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  8. cnelson3225

Mar 17, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    Yup haha already counting on it.

9. cnelson3225

Mar 17, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    Welp, I get my truck tomorrow and I am hoping to get out of Colorado before the storm. So I may do one more update once I have been out for a while, but after that I think this the end of me for this thread, unless anyone has any questions for me.

10. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    Keep updating and asking questions, you'll have them,trust me. Even if all you do is put the city your in and the miles you drove, you'll look back in a few months and laff

gentleroger Thanks this.
  11. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.