Static

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by KAK, Aug 28, 2015.

1. KAK

KAK Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Ne
    2000 peterbilt 379, ::: various radios and different antenna's.

Single antenna, have had mounted on both sides. 4 gage hot and ground wires ran directly to the battery. Have tried grounding to the frame also.

I have done a lot of bonding with braided ground strap.

I get a lot of static going over bridges from the pavement and also feed back from trucks inverters and stuff. Heck when I pass a rest area or other trucks on the OTHER side of the interstate I get static till I am passed them. ANY ideas ??

THANKS

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah try this ....

Find some old bungee cords those rubber ones, cut the end off of one side and stick the other end onto the running board holes or somewhere else that is connected to the chassis directly and make sure they are hitting or dragging on ground.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If you want to eliminate Inverter noise you need to spend a little bit more money and purchase a pure sine wave inverter like mine..

http://www.amazon.com/SENSATA-DIMENSIONS-1800N-FREQUENCY-INVERTER/dp/B00FG5M912

5. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Do you have an aluminum antenna? If so, change to a copper or stainless one. Fiberglass antennas use copper wire. Also, use all stainless mounts and studs.

I went from a Monkey-Made MM-9 Long to on an aluminum bird perch bracket, and an aluminum mount, to a 7' Firestik on a stainless bird perch bracket and a stainless mount with a stainless stud... the static in my receive decreased dramatically when going down the road. I used to also notice the increase in static when going from asphalt to concrete pavement, such as when going over a bridge. I no longer have this issue.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. KAK

KAK Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Ne
    THANKS Guys,

I will try the bungee cord thing. I THINK I have all stainless mounting hardware I will have to check, mainly run Wilson and Tram antenna's, will try some fiberglass.

@PORK CHOP, the inverter noise I pick up is from other trucks, not mine. Mine is always off unless I am parked, then my radio is off as well

truckon Thanks this.
  7. KAK

KAK Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Ne
    Update """" Bungees dragging underneath helped, a little bit.

Fiberglass antenna , NO help

Mounting brackets are NOT stainless, just the hardware is.

Also kinda forgot I get a steady pulse, about 1 second apart,. Truck on or off, makes no difference. Also makes no difference which radio or antenna I am using, it is always there.

I am thinking maybe the the clock in my stereo, since they are always on with the battery back up ????

THANKS

8. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio

Could also be something with the bonding. The parts of your truck you have bonded, are they near anything electrical? Did you keep the braid as short as possible? Like, 8-10"s or less? Just a thought...good luck

9. KAK

KAK Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Ne
    Bonding all short runs, not next to anything elec. Gunna try a separate battery and move everything , isolate it as best as I can. This stuff was much easier when trucks were metal LOL

THANKS guys

Bout Z Thanks this.
  10. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    Do you hear the electrical noise with the antenna disconnected? If so the noise may be coming thru the power leads. Some suggest ferrite beads on the power lines may help.

KAK Thanks this.
  11. hayseed

hayseed Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    The Natural State
    Ferrite beads and two stainless steel cables 1/16" dragging from the shock mounts (instead of bungee cords) fixed my static.

KAK and mike5511 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.