Steel Rod CB/MOSFET finals on cobra 25

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by BTShepp, Aug 29, 2016.

1. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Has anyone ever used Steel Rod CB Shop in Remington, Indiana just off of exit 201 on I-65? I stopped by and had them replace the stock finals on my cobra 25 to mosfets. It was already peaked from Kelly's CB shop in North Las Vegas. So far my radio is running great. Curious if anyone else has experiences with either Steel Rod or mosfet upgrades.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Ive only used him for a repair and he did a good job at a good price. I had CB Shop in Cartersville GA, in the TA at exit 296 on I 75, do a mosfet upgrade on a Cobra 29 LX a couple years ago, his Dosy was showing a carrier of 10 watts swinging 40, but despite the fact I didnt believe the numbers the radio was loud and clear, but it was loud and clear stock. Bells CB has several videos showing radios with mosfet upgrade and they show 6watts swinging 28 to 30 not much of and increase or stock 4 watts swinging 15 to 20 watts to justify the expense, IMO. There are some radios that come stock with Mosfet final like the Galaxy 929, 949, 959, and some of the newer Unidens like the 880 and PC 78 LTD.

bored silly and BTShepp Thank this.
  4. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    By the way I had the Mosfet upgrade done before I started reading this forum, especially the thread The Peak And Tune Myth, lets say it opened up my eyes. I have yet to pay for a peak and tune since and have been using Cobra 29 Lx and Bearcat 980 stock OTB.

bored silly, slim6596 and BTShepp Thank this.
  5. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    I have been indecisive about the peak and tune myth. It makes sense to some extent-- checking frequency is centered, modulation is near 100%. I don't buy the exaggerated claims, though. That's why I wonder about mosfet upgrade. Through my external talk back speaker, I sound a bit louder and clearer. When I get back home, I'll compare it with another radio and have a friend talk on my cobra 25. I will say that I got my cobra 25 for free several years ago. It was manufactured in 1998. There was virtually no audio, the potentiometers were dirty, and if I use the power mic, it would squeal. After getting the first technician to work on it, it is loud and clear with clean potentiometers. No squeal or distortion.

6. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    Before mosfets the final upgrade was performed with the 1969 swap but if Im not mistaken there is more to it than just replacing a final , I believe modifications have to be done to the driver section. I think the main reason every manufacture is going mosfet is because of price, even though they do yeild more power, but is it enough to really make a difference, dont know Im not a tech. I do know that I have a older General Lee with dual 1969 finals and I will never part ways with it.

7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The difference between Kelly's work and steel rods work is like night and day. If you like Kelly's work you're not going to like Steelrods work.
    Kelly does better work than most, although he doesn't have a clue as how to increase or decrease attack time of an amc circuit and only allow specific freqs to pass @ a given voltage.

BTShepp Thanks this.
  8. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Good to hear from you again! I have an external speaker with talkback and the audio sounds good to me. I've also gotten compliments over the air. I guess a better test will be when I go back home and have someone else talk on the radio and I listen from a different radio. Steel Rod did complement the work that Kelly had done. On the other hand, I don't have the equipment to know if they messed anything up. Hopefully not! I'm always learning…

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Also, what do you think about the MOSFET upgrade on a cobra 25? Any benefit or just BS?

10. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I'm not super impressed with my 880 out of the box. Swr are near 1 and only gets out and receives about 2-3 miles best I can tell. Of course it could be my 3' fire stick but it's mounted atop my car carrier so I should get out decent I would think.

11. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    I have a 880 that I bought about a year ago with pilot points when it was on sale, and OTB the modulation was rather low but if you open up the radio there is a modulation pot that can be adjusted to increase modulation to 100% , and with the use of a good power mic like the RF limited 2018 extreme echo it will be loud and clear. I just dont use mine because the static level is just to annoying.

bored silly and crb Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.