Steel Toed Boots?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by caframr, Aug 19, 2011.

1. caframr

caframr Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Fremont,indiana
    I would appreciate your feedback on the various companies boot policies. My question is steel toe or regular work boot. If you know the companies policy could you state it here. The reason I ask is that I am not a huge steel toe fan but all I wear is work boots most of the time, actually haven't owned a pair of sneakers for over 10 years, and it's time to replace the "Wings". So if steel/safety toe is what I need, so be it. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    It's more of a dock policy at some places. I always carried a pair under the bunk, but hardly ever used them.

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    If you pull a flat bed most steel plants require that drivers have steel toed boots or shoes.

5. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    I got stuck with the widest feet you've ever seen, so Redwing makes all my footwear. My feet are so wide that all my shoes and boots look like they're steel toed. So if anyone asks, I always tell them "These are steel toes", no one's EVER questioned it.

I've loaded steel and copper in dry vans, the shipper sometimes issues metal safety covers that strap over the toe of your shoe or boot.

Good workboots cost the big bucks, I think these were $220.00. The shoes cost $180.00 a pair (but they usually last five years or so, the boots last 12 to 15 years).

6. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Look down..... Those are your feet. They're the only ones you'll have. Run your hands over your bare foot. Feel all those small bones and ligaments that are so easily broken and torn. Consider your toes and how fragile they really are. Imagine how it would be to have them crushed and mangled.

Seriously, look around your workplace. Lots of heavy and sharp stuff around ain't there? Pick up a wooden pallet and drop it down. Hear that thud? Imagine somebody dropping that on your foot. Lots of clumsy idiots around and at times that includes you too. If you're going flatbedding consider steel chains and binders, ratchet bars and stringers. Alls you need is to drop one at the wrong time to do yourself permanent injury.

Feet take the worst beating daily of any part of our body. It's really amazing that they last as long as they do.

Nuh uh, I'm giving my feet the best #### protection I can. Steel toes, steel sole inserts, non-slip and oil-resistant soles. It's the cheapest insurance you'll ever buy.

7. Superquack

Superquack Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    My employer bought my steel toes. A pair of wolverines that cost around 150. Wear good and comfortable lol

8. YaleTech

YaleTech Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2011
    West "By God" Virginia
    Where I work it is instant termination for not wearing safety boots/shoes.

Why? Six years ago an employee was talking to a forklift operator, the operator did not set the parking brake and the forklift ran over his foot. He still walks with limp, can no longer drive and can only work in the shop.

If your feet freeze in the winter and boil in the summer, switch to composite toe. They are light and are not effected by heat and cold.

Be safe, you can not fix a crushed foot/feet

lostNfound Thanks this.
  9. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Steel toe boots in a steel mill are as pointless as nipples on a man. The standard steel toe boot is only rated for 75 ft lbs of impact resistance. Got pics of a little 20k coil that fell over on it's side, pretty sure your boots aren't going to make a difference. Never seen a forklift light enough for a steel toe boot to survive being ran over. A guy here was using a magnetic frame drill on a new firetruck. Someone tripped over the cord it came unplugged and fell on his steel toe boot. Landed on the laces and shattered his foot. If they make you feel safe then by all means wear them. If the shipper/receiver requires them then wear them but don't rely on them.

10. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    just go to walmart and buy a cheap pair and keep them in your truck for when a shipper/receiver requires them.

American Trucker

11. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    So what you're saying is go barefoot? Flipflops maybe?

Look, nothing can protect you from everything. You can live in a freakin Abrams tank and get hit by lightning. But son, anything I can do to tilt the odds in my favor I will do and do gladly. I want to be buried with all the equipment I came with.

YaleTech Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.