Steering wheel clunking ,

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by murat, Aug 1, 2015.

1. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    I have a 1999 Freightliner Century,It has a stationary steering column , when I drive over rough or uneven terrain especially at slow speeds I feel a clunking in the steering wheel and at times the wheel becomes harder to turn.I noticed yesterday when it does this if I pull on the top of the steering wheel it will clunk and then become easy to turn again.The truck drives fine does not pull or shimmy the steering is fine it's just this clunking and binding that appear to be coming from the steering wheel shaft itself.I checked the shaft U joint by the steering gear it needed tightened but now it seems worse,is their another U joint under the dash or bushing somewhere.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Stubby T Slapnutt

Stubby T Slapnutt Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Most likely if you stand outside the open drivers door, there is a cover between clutch and brake pedal, remove cover, you should find a ujoint there. hope this helps

murat Thanks this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    How is the slip joint in the steering shaft?

murat Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Did you have any recent work done to the steering column and shafts? If the slip yoke is installed out of phase, it can make it bind up while turning.

murat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.