Stevens Tanker: Oil Field Work?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by hculiver, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Poor guy.. I don't blame you a bit. I would go otr and drag in that $35k/yr vs $70k-$100k in the patch. That way you wouldn't have to retake that nasty old test again.

unloader and glenn71 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. StankyLeg

StankyLeg Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2014
    35k 😳😳😳😂😂😂

4. Mattaponi Guard

Mattaponi Guard Medium Load Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Texas
    So Unloader, been reading your post regarding Stevens Tanker. Regarding the post orientation/training period, how is the work? Day's or night's, required overtime and overall perception?

5. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    The work is what you make it. Shift changes are a cluster most of the time but we're paid by the hour not the load so it all works out.

When training it's one week on days, one week on nights. After training you will most likely work nights. Some guys go days, but I prefer nights so I don't know about the process of switching.

The schedule is 5 on, 2 off with an option to work a sixth day. You will definitely be working a minimum of 60 hours a week unless you call out. Overtime after 40.

For me I would say it was a bit overwhelming when I first started training, but honestly what isn't when your learning something new?

It's likely one of the easiest jobs I've ever had and decent money to boot. It's a foot in the door for South Texas, and many other companies pay a lot more per hour.

I'm happy where I'm at for the time being.

unloader

mutbread Thanks this.
  6. Mattaponi Guard

Mattaponi Guard Medium Load Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Texas
    Sounds good, after pulling a reefer in the Northeast for 4+ years I need a change. I'll have to give them a call, since I'll be coming down that way next month. Thanks.

7. StankyLeg

StankyLeg Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2014
    How is it for someone whom live in SA but stay in the hotel in Stockdale. Wouldn't want to drive a hour to & from work everyday.

8. EducatedTrucker

EducatedTrucker Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2014
    I spoke with one of their recruiters last week. I don't quite have the full year they wanted so I'm gonna go another route. I live in SA and for me driving back back and forth wouldn't have been an issue, like unloader said "it's what you make of it". Plus cheaper than a hotel IMO.

As for hotels, rigsby rd and 410 loop area should have hotels around there. Rigsby rd eventually turns into hwy 87 which takes you out to stockdale where the yard is. Another option.

9. StankyLeg

StankyLeg Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2014
    It's not an issue just 2 hours I could be working. I'm the type that would rather live in the truck traveling Texas.

10. mutbread

mutbread Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Unloader, what do the on site cabins look like? I'm sharing a car right now, sold mine when I started driving or, so I was planning on renting a cabin and only going home on weekends, is that a feasible option? Trying to pad my savings before I buy another car, so if possible I'm putting it off another month. Lol.

11. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I haven't seen the lodges, but I drive by the cabins daily. They are tiny. As for the lodges, they were expensive so I found alternative housing. At the RV park here in town. Company lodges are $650 with a roommate, and $1300 for single. #### that.

I pay $650 to rent an RV camper, plus electric and I have my own space. I guess I'm just an unfriendly guy, because after working 13-14 hours I want to come home to my own thing ya know. lol

The RV park is called Quail Ridge and I don't know if there are any rentals available at the moment. I've seen some apartments in Stockdale advertised on WilsonCountyNews.com in the classifieds section but never called to check them out.

Guys travel in from Seguin, Floresville, and probably Karnes City/Kennedy as well. Of course there are those who commute all the way from San Antonio and that has to be a chore, especially if you live in NW San Antone.

unloader

mutbread Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.