Straight Line Backing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by wheretogo, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    Basically I'm stating what's already been stated... but I quickly became "expert" in this maneuver after my instructor showed me how.

- Start with trailer straight
    - Carefully and continuously watch the rear tandems of trailer
    - The instant the tandems "get fat", with hand at top of wheel, steer towards the problem
    -Very small steering adjustments (1-2 o'clock, 10-11 o'clock), cancel immediately. The trailer responds almost immediately so you don't have to wait until you see it coming back to center.
    - Go slow

I got my backing down so well that after getting the trailer straight I could take my hands off the wheel and just coast back while doing the 100'.

Diab33tus Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    You HAVE to move your head constantly and watch BOTH sides of the trailer all the time.. do NOT stare.. when you stare, you cannot pick up the movements of the trailer.. if you watch both sides, you can feed corrections to correct the trailer to keep it straight and going where you want it to go. Best to start with a straight combination and with the steer axles straight. If your instructor catches you staring in one mirror, he should cover it so you have to look into the other one. The more you move your view from left mirror to right mirror, the easier it is and the faster you can correct.

AND steering goes from correct to CENTER.. correct and BACK to center..

4. Spokester

Spokester Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    Not sure if your school uses the day cab tractor and tiny little 28' trailer, but that actually makes it harder, as it responds to inputs more quickly. Far easier to control the movements in a sleeper tractor and at least a 48' trailer. And has been said before, take it slow, with very minor corrections. You'll get it!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  5. wheretogo

wheretogo Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2011
    passaic, nj
    Thanks everyone. I'm doing better, but not perfect. My instructor told me to only look out the driver side mirror and focus on the rear bumper to make small adjustments. Then just rely on the rear bumper and "flat body lights" to make sure the trailer is going straight. I'm not sure if this is the best way, but it has definitely improved my performance.

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Your instructor is right,for backing look out the mirror because when you get tested for your CDL you have to use your mirrors rather then stick your head out or open the door while backing.Here that's a fail if you do that.Backing is not easy and comes with practice in time you'll be real good at it and won't think before you back,you'll just do it.I have'nt read all the post,but did your instructor mention a refference point to backing?It helps me.I deliver hides sometimes and the dock can be tricky to get into so I use their dumpster for a refference point and most the time Ii'm straight on with the dock.

7. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    When you are out on your own straight backing will be as easy as walking straight. Just make small adjustments when you see the trailer begin to sway. Do not wait for it to sway, correct it just when you start to see it angle and do not oversteer just a small smooth adjustment. Plus I don't know how the trucks are at your school, but mine had old trucks that would be all over the place just from being so beat down. My company has brand spanking new trucks and they are much easier to handle. The truck I got only had 200 miles on it.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Catching the trailer as you back will become easy believe me.In time it'll be just as easy as backing your car.You feel comfortable in your auto and you have to feel comfortable in a big rig as well.

9. GAlanFink

GAlanFink Medium Load Member

May 8, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    <--- Highest score in backing skills in driving school (yeah, got the t-shirt).

Straight line backing is accomplished with minimal use of the steering wheel. Don't just look at your tandems but also pick a spot behind the trailer to aim towards (like sighting a rifle). If the back of your trailer starts to go left, turn left to correct it but remember, the first rule of backing up is to not go faster than idle speed. This is a safety issue and, you will see drivers backing fast but they are the ones that are NOT professionals. Don't join that club.

Watch your tandems but aim for a point well behind your trailer... this will give you adequate time to see a slight change in direction long before it becomes a major change in direction.

Take it from me, I was the top gun in all categories at the driving school I attended because I paid attention to little details, not because I hot-dogged it.

Diab33tus Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.