Straight Pipe Woes

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by CRX, Dec 22, 2010.

1. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    I will have to disagree with you.

I'm running 2 1/4" straight pipes off my Harley. Not only does it sound better.... But I also have the dyno results showing that I get better HP & Torque over the stock exhaust. Plus I'm getting better gas mileage with it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    When are you ever home to enjoy riding Harley?:biggrin_25523:

4. Flying Finn

Flying Finn Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    The noise over a long driving day actually fatigues a driver faster. Never mind the obnoxious racket some of them put out. To think, anyone still has to question why drivers get a bad reputation.

Put them on a show truck that is a trailer queen with no muffler. I do not care. OTR they are not needed nor welcome by just about ANY town/city.

5. Rig Wrench

Rig Wrench Medium Load Member

Dec 24, 2010
    northeast
    I think u can run straits and be ok (just not with DOT). the larger diamiter they are the deeper thewsound will be, and the taller the stacks the quieter they will be.It all depends on if the driver is a jake jokey or not. Probly not neccisary to use the jakes in a residential area when empty, thats just common sense.
    We ran 6" staits on a 550 (real healthy 550:biggrin_25525:) that exited behind the doors about 2 foot higer than the roof and it was ear splitting. We also put 7" bull haulers on 475 Acert that were about 12'8" high and it has a nice deep mellow tone, jakes are not bad at all. Driver loves it. motor seems to run a bit better also, lower Exh.temp slightly better mileage (very slight) Deffinetly worth it. never had problems with the law either, yet anyway. Acerts do tend to be quieter though for obvious reasons though

Big Duker Thanks this.
  6. Don2WS

Don2WS Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Sturtevant WI
    i run straights on all my trucks some have a small resonator under the sleeper to quiet it down a bit. Last year i was pulled in at the scale in kentucky for inspection. The officer checked my book, permits and insurance and set me free, i got in the truck released trailer brakes and started filling out log when i was interrupted by the same officer accompanied by a female officer knocking on my door. They started to ask me about the silencers on truck i acted stupid and told them that the guy i bought the truck off told me he had put internal mufflers in the spools the lady used her flashlight and thumped the stacks and said the mufflers were probably damaged and that i should get my truck checked because its hurting my fuel economy :biggrin_2559: finally to give me a farewell i got fined for the fenders and the mudflaps on the trailer being too low to the ground has anyone ever been fined for such a thing it was a $55 so i didnt feel like arguing, i thanked them and got in the truck and left

7. Flying Finn

Flying Finn Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Mudflaps TOO low? What the heck? I can understand not low enough or not there at all.

What might be the minimum distance above the ground that they must be then? LOL

8. tweaker

tweaker Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2010
    sidney,ne
    i think grang rock baffles sound great,but hate the sound of pp high flow,it just sounds cheap,also i run duel 10s weed burners my little hot rod if you will sounds awesome can we upload mp3 files as an attachment i mounted a mike under the truck and jaked off 3 sisters the other day .it was great

9. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    We are talking KY here folks!

That are a little backwards..... mudflaps a foot off the ground or none at all and be ok, mudflaps 1" off the ground and get a ticket...:biggrin_2552:

10. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    When it snows

11. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Ha! I seen that...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.