Straight Pipe Woes

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by CRX, Dec 22, 2010.

1. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    unless they meant the flaps were to low as compared to the top of tire---like it doesnt cover enough tire area--maybe????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Don2WS

Don2WS Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Sturtevant WI
    they meant like too low to the ground it was like two inches off the ground and the flap weights were scratched at the bottom edges because the docks were we load are on a decline and when were backing up the weights drag and get scratched along the edges that might of been the reason why i was fined maybe they tought i was gonna scratch their gorgeous roads with my evil flaps :biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:

4. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    KY also tickets for flaps that are too high...

Don2WS Thanks this.
  5. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Years ago Arizona would ticket for having the mud flaps to short. And its a fact they can be to short. And Arizona's law enforcement officers would use that excuse, are even a small clearance light being out at night time, to stop and check you out. And you know how it goes when they check you out, many times they can find something to ticket you for.

Humans feels loud equals power and speed, and it does, yet only when the engines is tuned for it as on the race tracks of America. I'm not stupid enough to think everyone will agree with me for I understand well some people love loud, they love being heard, having everyone's attention that's possible. That is until they get the attention of the one that hands put tickets and they complain and cry.

And its 100% true, loud done not help the reputation of the American truck drivers.

6. pval2571

pval2571 Bobtail Member

May 21, 2009
    Clarence, NY
    If you want to tame it down a little, you could try adding a resonator, it won't make it quiet, but it may keep you out of trouble for no muffler. I ran 7's on my old Classic with a Detroit, I just tried to park facing the opposite way at night if I had to idle. I have a Pittsburgh Power muffler on my International, sounds great, but not all that loud unless your really into it

7. TIREDOLDTRUCKER

TIREDOLDTRUCKER Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Merritt Island, Florida
    I run straight 6' on my KW with a Detroit. BUT i put a resonator under the truck where it isn't seen. It sounds great when running and pulling though its ONLY drawback is when JAKE is working. IT IS LOUD but i try to only use JAKE when going down STEEP GRADES. Have not been stopped for them yet. But it could happen tomorrow. I'm just saying they might not be legal but if you are not a COWBOY you shouldn't have any problems. EXCEPT IN CALIFORNIA. Where just about every thing to do with TRUCKING is ILLEGAL! And it increased my MPG by 3tenths a mile!

8. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    I worked in a shop and because I was the only one that could weld properly, I welded a resonator into the exhaust piping under the cab. I finished the Job I was on, so they asked me to do a Government inspection on the other truck. I rejected it for improper exhaust system.
    We had a decibel meter, and they took it out to test it and it was like driving with the exhaust going threw your chest, painful. I had it's sister truck in the shop with a power problem. I hooked up gauges, and took it for a road test, the driver came with me and I called out the results and he wrote them down Pulling a steep hill and Jakeing down the same hill fully loaded.
    When we got back the owner was upset that I had rejected the truck seeing as I had welded it in. I explained to him that, what he did with his truck was his business. When I did the inspection I was going by the government rules.
    He wanted to see if the truck had the same problem as the other one so I hooked up the gauges and drove it same set of trailers, same wrought, The exhaust back pressure was a lot higher with the resonator and straight pipes that it was with stock exhaust. Just because it is louder does not mean it is better. Put it on a dyno and have it tested.
    If you believed everyone about the changes and the increase every one on them did, increasing the mileage, and saving fuel, they would be selling the fuel they made driving.

9. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I'd rather here a straight piped truck then a #### straight piped motorcycle. I couldn't tell ya the decibel range for each but the bikes sound louder and seem to get away with it more often.

10. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Can you try to explain this to me...?

I don't see how its possible to have more back pressure with and exhaust system that has no restrictions?

If you took off 2 mufflers and replaced them with 2 6" straights and just added a resonator somewhere along the exhaust system, I don't see how its possible for that to cause more back pressure, unless your resonators have a baffle in them?

Our resonators, you can see straight thru and make no difference in sound. Atleast the one I put on didn't... Matter of fact it was the biggest waste of time.

11. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    Most resonators have more restriction than the mufflers that are removed. 99% of exhaust systems have restrictions on less than 1 lb per square inch.
    Many mufflers are also straight threw, even the ones that have baffles are not restrictive. That is why mufflers are supposed to be bought specific for you truck, so they will mount, and for the engine so they do the job properly. Cheap generic is not the best.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.