straight talk mobile hot spot

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by x#1, Jan 15, 2014.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    millinicom dot com verizon service without the contract, but data only, 60 gig/mth with no "hard" limits within reason. (make sure you ask for verizon and a mifi/wifi device so you don't get a sprint package/device) Don't get a USB device for several reasons I won't go into just now

http://millenicom.com/plans/#hotspot-plan make sure you ask for a Verizon device

I should maybe have followed up that if you're serious about your data needs, you should consider data and voice as 2 separate things to acquire because, reliable voice is one thing, quality data is quite another. But in terms of voice too, you need to go ATT or Verizon if you spend a lot of time on the phone. Anything else will be hit and miss more then not unless you're "in town".

While it's possible to tether your data usage off of your voice plan, this is usually very pricey. Many do both ... Have a dedicated data plan/device, as well as a phone plan with some data as a backup. I think the general consensus of coast to coast drivers is Verizon offers the best data/voice reliability in most of the nation, then say ATT as a semi-close second, but especially data. Voice can work over a weak or bad signal to a point, data, not so much.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    well you went over my head again except for the link.unfortunately,i have already bought the straight talk mobile hot spot wifi w/3g connectivity. $79.99 for the unit,one time purchase,and then $25 i think for 4gb whatever per 30 days.I am sure i overbought with that much gb.heck i mainly just get on a forum from time to time and check email when out so i may can just get the 1gb for $15 if and when i get it up and running.

i am betting it is simple something to click on or delete or ? i have read that darn set up guide until my eyes bled.you are correct in that dealing w/straight talk customer service will be broken english and unintelligible hence my reluctance to dial.besides i may not get it when they put it out there.

i know-that's what she said.

yes sir.you are conversing w/the ultimate in computer illiteracy so many thanks for not going into that for now!

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    It's probably something simple like you said. Maybe your firewall is blocking the ports or something. Try uninstalling then turn your firewall off and then re-install, then turn the firewall back on. Sometimes that works.

5. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    okay.thanks.that makes sense.i haven't uninstalled the firewall,i simply turned it off to set up the device and when i couldn't set it up,turned it back on.will it go to recycle bin if i uninstall it? or in other words where can i retrieve it when i uninstall it?

wow.if nothing else,i am becoming familiar w/computer workings.

i appreciate all the advice and input.

6. sixshooterz

sixshooterz Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    Please open a command prompt (Start -> Run then type CMD and press enter)

Type ping 8.8.8.8 do you get any replies?

If so, try ping google.com and let me know the output. I'm thinking its a simple DNS issue, unless the hotspot simply isn't activated..

7. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    the hotspot is activated and my laptop displays that it is.just can't get past the one point.difficult for me to explain being ignorant of that which i speak at the moment.

THANKS for the reply.I shall attempt your suggestion.

8. ziggity

ziggity Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2014
    IN
    After going to straight talk for voice unlimited for $45 month including txt and data on phone I had good signal in places contract phones didnt. Agree any support stinks though. I got mine from going back to walmart recept in hand and seeking out their techie in electronics. Three months ago i was going to buy the hotspot and techie advised they are waste of money so i didnt. If it were me i would take it back with recept see if they can help or refund. If you get there and seems no one in electronics is helpful I would either call and come back later or try a different one depending on your situatio. Unless you are putting in personal info using free wifi is ok. Otherwize need a Verizon contract. On that topic keep in mind they work on commision and have some latitude. Also if you go contract there are some really goofd discounts maybe your carrier too. Id throw out all affiliations even past employers for discount. Hope this helps somehow and know you have tried to no avail. Keep the Faith!

9. BigPerm

BigPerm Medium Load Member

I've been using a Verizon/Virgin Mobile Overdrive Pro for the last 6-months with pretty good luck. It also supports 5 machines. I only got it because it supports Windows 8(sucks)...& that's what's on my new laptop. Unlimited 4G data...IF you can find it. 3G I have a hard time using up the amount in the $35/mo account.

10. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Is the unit powered on?
    Have you connected your PC to the WiFi like you do with other hotspots?
    What browser are you using?
    Have you rebooted computer?
    What version of windows?

11. nero8762

nero8762 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Try using google chrome browser instead of IE, to het into configuration setup.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.