Studio Sleeper: Couch vs Bed

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Connor96, Jan 20, 2015.

1. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Yes. Folds out into a bed.

Ldyluk76 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    When you are looking at a studio sleeper open the side boxes and look in. You won't be impressed.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  4. Silentshifter83

Silentshifter83 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Everywhere, USA
    I run a kenworth W900L with the 84inch studio sleeper and heavy haul package. I can give you my experience in hopes that it helps.

Pros:

Spacious

Comfy

Leave sleeping bag and pillow on bunk and fold it up. Out of site, out of mind.

Unfold bunk. Insta-bed-made.

Couch for a place to do paper work.

Couch for eating.

Couch is actually futon, it can be unfolded to make another bed. (Handy for team hauls which I don't do)

If its cold out sleep on top bunk, heat rises.

If its hot sleep on the couch closer to the a/c

If its minnesota cold out, sleep on the couch and unfold the bed. You would be surprised how much warmer that gets.

Seats 5 legally. (Why would you want to????)

Looks cool.

2 drawers, 2 closets, 2 cabinets, 2 cubby holes, fold out table, microwave, fridge and 42" tv with PS4

Cons:

Can't reach HVAC or APU controls from top bunk.

18 feet from front bumper to back of sleeper plus 4' empty space to 5th wheel plus 53' trailer makes it it not so easy to ally dock in tight spots.

Odometer reads 1.4 million miles, best to get yourself a new mattress and sanitize the couch.

When you turn on 42" tv, everyone can see what your doing.

bbechtel16 Thanks this.
  5. Silentshifter83

Jan 15, 2017
    Everywhere, USA
    I keep my 8 chains, emergency lights, 2 gallons of oil, 1 gallon of anti freeze, window cleaner, tire cleaner, triangles, and some other crap in mine. What do you keep in yours? Live alligators?

6. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    What was that all about? o_O Good lord. :eek:
    You were a "wannaBe" at one time yourself. What makes you better than the OP? Get over yourself. While you're at it, take your own advice and get into a real conversation and stop wasting other peoples time. ;)

bbechtel16, dunchues, tnpete and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Silentshifter83

Jan 15, 2017
    Everywhere, USA
    I wonder if he gets this a lot.

IMG_1458.PNG

8. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    LOL. That made me spit out my beer! Nominated!

Silentshifter83 Thanks this.
  9. darklyth

darklyth Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2013
    The futon is not very comfortable, and you'll need to remove it anytime you need to access the bunk blower motor, or anything else there. Removal is only a few bolts, though, and fairly easy to get to from the outside, through the side doors. I assume the futon can have the mattresses upgraded, but good luck finding some off the shelf that will work. I haven't yet.
    Personally, I tried a mattress on the top bunk. Several concussions later, I pulled the mattress and folded the bunk back up. It hangs a bit low, and there simply isn't enough room, already. With the futon, it's a small cell. Drop the bunk, and it becomes a coffin.
    I love my W9, don't get me wrong. I would, however, love to slap the hell out of the designer. 4 inches between the seats, overhead fluorescent lights of a very odd size, cheap cabinet clamps that snap if you breathe near them too much, not a single light control available to the top bunk, and we won't even talk about replacing the low air pressure sensor in the dash last week. I'm still talking to my therapist about that.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Are you kidding?

Bed. Better yet two beds. And a crash net.

There is nothing pro or con to speak of. Unless you really like couches. And what they put in there and call couches are essentially syrofoam blocks. Forget it.

11. J-Trucker87

J-Trucker87 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I just I bought 2013 KW T660 Studio Sleeper. I love all the room in here. Now one question I am trying to find out what is the biggest bed mattress that you can place on the couch? I do not have a tape measure with me so I cannot get the exact dimensions but I was just trying to see if anybody knew. Thanks

bbechtel16 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.