Stupid question about pulling hopper.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by 379exhd, Apr 5, 2013.

1. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Start running hopper bottom Sunday pulling somebody else's trailer. I rode with a friend earlier this week that runs hopper to kinda get the hang of things on loading and unloading and to get the basics down. I'm still scratching my head about sweeping out the trailer after each load though. My friend didn't really understand it either. The company that books the loads and owns the trailer said the entire trailer needs to be swept out after every load however after looking inside a 50ft timpte even with a 16ft broom I can't really see how you could sweep the entire trailer out without climbing inside...and that poses the issue of how the hell do you get out? Its just a little confusing to me right now and I'm sure I sound like an idiot asking. The owners have given me advise on everything else but haven't really given me advise on sweeping the trailer out. They understand that I have never pulled a hopper before and told me to ask if I had any questions I have asked them twice about and they have explained it but I still don't understand it.

Thanks guys.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    We have to sweep out when we haul fertilizer then switch to corn etc. Get yourself a lead rope (for leading horses, cattle etc.) and hook it onto the tarp bow at the front and one at the rear of the trailer. You can use it to lower yourself down and to get yourself out.

We put steps in our trailers to get out but the rope deal works just fine.

Those extendable broom sticks work real good to be able to reach the whole trailer. Pay close attention to the rubber flaps that seal the hopper door on the bottom. I bring a pocket knife in with me and scrape that area out with it.

4. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    We have a hose reel mounted under the trailer in the center and have a blow gun with a 2 foot wand on our hoppers. Works good for blowing the doors off and getting material out of the track the door runs in.

volvodriver01 and 379exhd Thank this.
  5. CG1

CG1 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Auburn, NE
    I always crawled in from the bottom and use a extended handle[like the ones for washing your truck] on a broom head. Can be a dirty job, but somebody has got to do it. If its just dust, a couple miles down the road with the tarp open can work also. I don't like to run it very far that way,because its hard on the rear tarp cap, but a couple miles won't hurt.

379exhd and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  6. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Mj thank you. I'll be sure to invest in those. My new dispatcher or boss or whatever said he wanted the trailer washed out after a load of fertilizer but wanted it swept out after every load. My friend didn't understand why after every load but neither here nor there it has to be done and I want this to work. Thank you for the tip on the lead rope. I didn't understand how to get in and out of the trailer at first but now it makes sense. Also thanks for the tip about scraping near the rubber flaps on the hopper doors they didn't mention that but being a noon to this and a rookie driver to begin with I'll take all the advise I can get from vets. Thank you very much for the advise I'll pick up a lead rope tomorrow I'm sure this trailer doesn't have steps and even if it does I don't know that all of his trailers do so better to be safe than sorry. Thank you again for the advise and tips. Have a good weekend!!!

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  7. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    You'll get more cross contamination on the hopper slide than anyplace else in the trailer.

379exhd, 25(2)+2 and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  8. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Good luck on your new venture. I think you will like hopper work.

Lead rope is nice even with the steps.

We wash the trailers out every once in awhile. If we have been hauling fertilizer when its been damp outside it can get a little sticky in the trailer. I know when we were doing otr hopper the trailer would have to be washed out between certain loads. I was never involved with that.

Its a no no to find a kernel of corn in fertilizer and a big no no to find fertilizer in corn.

Do you know are you going to be hauling and where?

9. NHS

NHS Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much what MJ1657 said. If you are going to haul any kind of feed ingredient (grain, DDG, cereal feed, etc.), anything on the previous load that would be harmful to the animal eating it is frowned upon. Most of the time you can get by with a sweep, however some feed ingredient receivers will require you to washout prior to loading their product. On any kind of blood meal, meat and bone meal, poultry meal, etc you can almost count on washing out before and after the load. That's something you have to keep in mind when booking your loads (always ask if its required before/after), not only from a cost standpoint but from a logistics standpoint, because washouts aren't everywhere. Most of the time they pop up around shippers and receivers that require that kind of thing, but not always.

Another reason it is required is because the rates (buying, selling, freight, etc.) are all based on weight or volume (bushels). If you leave 300-400 lbs of material stuck to the sides of your trailer, the receiver gets shorted on the product they bought and you can get charged for the weight differential at the cost of the product. A lot of shippers will set acceptable thresholds for differing weights at the shipper and receiver to accommodate different scales. However if you go over that threshold for whatever reason, it can get costly in a hurry, especially with feed ingredients that cost $300/ton and grain that can cost $13-14/bushel (soybeans). If you ever experience a weight discrepancy of over 250 lbs, I would advise you stay put and make your dispatch aware of the situation or call the shipper/broker that way you can avoid getting charged later.

Beyond that its just good practice to keep the trailer clean, if someone shows up to a shipper/receiver with 3 or 4 loads of built up material on the tarp, catwalk, sides of the trailer, etc. it's not going to say much about a persons attention to detail, and probably won't inspire a great deal of confidence with the customer.

Agree that steps are the best method to get into the bottom of the trailer, but the rope method is good to.

jamespmack, 379exhd and MJ1657 Thank this.
  10. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I added some steps to one of the hoppers last fall. They are cheap and it doesn't take long to install them.

11. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Thank you they didn't tell me that when I spoke with them about the job very helpful tip. Actually watched a pneumatic dump Thursday at ADM in Lincoln. Popped the caps off and about a 6" high clump of calcium went down into the auger.

Mj first load picks up in Crete, NE run down to Cimmaron, KS dump at a farm I guess don't know for sure but name of the place sounds like a farm don't know what I'm loading for sure yet either but have the pickup number at least. Then load wheat over in Hickok, KS and dump over in Catoosa, OK guess its just east of Tulsa. First load is $36/ton wheat is paying $60/ton and its not far from the OK border from what I see on the map. I'm tempered to have them load me at 90k out of Hickok instead of 85500 with the rate on the wheat. Don't know what the dispatcher would say about that though and knowing my luck a bear with a set of portables would catch me. I'm supposed to run NE,KS,ND,SD,IA,MO,OK,TX,and CO. Home every weekend with a couple exceptions talked to his other o/os and his storys mathch up. Pay is 84% of gross he takes 8% for dispatch and 8% or 7% depending on weather you pull a tandem or a tri. Im pulling a tri so he gets 16% of my gross. Pay is a little lower but I dont have to maintain a trailer and it's a place to start. I can call anytime with questions or for directions if I need them. Seemed like a pretty good guy he owns 2 trucks and runs 15 o/o's or so. So far I have enjoyed riding along and learning about running a hopper. And Tuesday morning my friend only had a 3 hour wait at ADM (gooches) in Lincoln and we were like 22nd in line didn't think that was too bad. I like it so far well see how it all goes wanna learn everything I can while I'm young and be well rounded later on so if something goes south rate wise I can change it up and stay in the money. And being in Nebraska there's a lot of hopper work. Figure I can run for this guy for a year or 2 and get the hang of this and then purchase a hopper in a couple years and go out on my own. Thank you for the kind wishes and the good luck.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.