Success or failure

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dream$, Dec 8, 2016.

1. dream$

dream$ Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2016
    I may be in the wrong thread if so please point me in the right direction. I am tossing around the idea of buying a truck and leasing to a company and hiring a driver for that truck. I am a heavy duty truck technician and am looking to do my own maintenance while continuing to work my weekly job. I need as much information as I can get I am just doing my research and anything is appreciated thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I can't say its a good or bad idea. I know a guy who owns 2 trucks and he has drivers for both. He just works a regular day job and fixes the trucks on the weekend. No idea how well he does but he's been operating like this for about 5 years now.

Lepton1 and swaggerjacker Thank this.
  4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Do you work for a large enough vendor to substantially save on parts?
    Do you already have potential drivers lined up?

5. dream$

dream$ Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2016
    I do actually work for a company that would save a substantial amount on parts and are providing me with up to date and new and old knowledge every day. I dont have any drivers in mind yet I would like to get alot of information before I search. I do have at least one(keeping my possible options open) for well seasoned experienced drivers that could verify the abilities of a driver I would hire on

6. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Let me tell you finding a good driver for your Truck is not going to be easy and bills don't stop just cause your truck ain't rolling..

Lepton1, noluck and Pete jockey Thank this.
  7. dream$

dream$ Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2016
    I.was hoping to find two that could rotate hoping that would be a perk.

8. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    I thnk you are in for a rude awakening. Sounds great in theory, but there won't be any left once you pay bills and driver. Plus be ready for driver turnover at least once a year if not more.

9. dream$

dream$ Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Well that's what im actually looking for is the rude awakening everything sounds good in theory when you only know positive points. so any respectful input is appreciated

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. dream$

dream$ Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2016
    I want to also add I had thought of letting the money from the truck pay for itself and build a large cushion for the truck. after a few years getting my own authority.

11. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Might work.Will need a "great driver" that's easy on equipment,punctual,and generally knows what he's doing.To keep it going smoothly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.