Suggestions for steering wheel wrap?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Accidental Trucker, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Does anyone have some suggestions for a decent steering wheel wrap? The old girl is getting cracks in the padding, and I'd like to prevent / postpone having to replace the wheel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I've seen steering wheel covers at truck stops.

4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I never saw any I liked at most truck stops. Seems no one sells just a plain old steering wheel cover. It has to have massaging bumps, snakes or dragons,.. or just ridiculous. Kinda like trying to find plain white Nikes or a single colored ball cap.

Found this one in Fla at the Chrome shop in Wildwood.

[​IMG]

Bought it a year ago and still like new. It screamed 1970's Vantastic love machine,.. or I could see Burt Reynolds using one of these in his Trans Am. All laughing aside,.. its been the most comfortable steering wheel cover I've tried so far.

5. fatherofthree

fatherofthree Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Nice Columbia gold lol anyway I highly recommend avoiding the ones at pilot flying j they are really really poor.

Had an older T600 and even in a new T660 and they just decentigraded over about a month. Once they begin to come apart they have small metal in the outer portion that will cut you plus they are a real ----- to put on, had to use my crow bar.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    My steering wheel has definitely seen better days. Why do you think I have a cover on it? LOL

1.2 million miles.. I bought it at 900k. I'm sure there has been some questionable meat puppets on there before I bathed it in lysol disinfectant spray. Stains are imbedded,.. short of painting it.,. I cant get them out. Eventually I may replace the steering wheel. Too many other priorities at the moment.

Hurst

fatherofthree Thanks this.
  7. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    Wheelskins - only way to go. I had a lambskin one for many years before I got a fancy steering wheel.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  8. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Go to any local Pep Boys, AutoZone, Walmart

9. WesternEmpire

WesternEmpire Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Arcade, NY
    Can I suggest a quality pair of fingerless gloves? No need for wonky things like steering wheel covers.

They also go great this Addidas flip flops, track suits, and wife beater under shirts.

Ougigoug and skellr Thank this.
  10. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    I've actually used a couple of high end bicycle handle bar wraps and those things feels good on your hand. You have to replace it more often because it unravels easily if you don't do it right and it can get expensive.

11. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    Break down an buy you a wood grain steering wheel then the problem is solved.

gokiddogo, Ougigoug and Ruthless Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.