Suicide by citizen!

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Mattflat362, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Is the second part accurate about not stopping?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    The proper thing to do if you don't feel safe: cut on emergency lights and slow way down call 911 which should go to that dispatch and they will relay intentions

Big Don, Blackshack46 and KillingTime Thank this.
  4. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    What if you had to take a dump, and were on the way to a rest stop? Would the officer behind be dispatched to the adjacent stall to collect personal info, or is that not an "emergency"... can we only be afraid of the dark vs ####ting our pants?

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    You're a man. You #### your pants.
    You're a lithe, petite, young woman, you don't.
    Gender biases. The way it is.

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  6. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    I wonder if fewer unarmed men would be shot if they squatted in broad daylight. I mean how could you possibly explain any further escalation of force there... :fart:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    KillingTime and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I'm not real sure I believe I just read this thread!:rolleyes:
    You accept that there are risks to the job. But you do everything in your power to make sure that you have the upper hand, and that you're as safe as possible. There is absolutely no point in endangering yourself, or the motoring public, to stop a violator whose offense is not nearly as dangerous, as you are making it out to be.
    I think we have all seen officers do stupid things. They are people to. But they are supposed to have the training, the skill, and the maturity to make intelligent decisions.

I think we've all had this happen, at least a few times. How about the foreign tourists, who honestly have no clue. (Most are not nearly as dumb as they want you to think they are...)
    Or the little old lady, (or man,) whose vision and hearing are so bad, they don't even know you are there. I had a low speed "pursuit" (nah, more like a cluster f....) for a couple of miles behind one of these.
    He even told me, "I thought I heard a siren, but didn't see where it was coming from..."
    Those are the ones that get a request to DMV to review their driving capability.

I was strong on officer safety. But there are steps that we took all the time, that cops just can't take today. An example is the on board computers. It's great. You don't have to bother dispatch with every little thing. You can even write and print out a ticket that is actually LEGIBLE! Kind of unheard of in my day.
    But the down side to it, is that the cop has to actually be in his car to use it. Making said cop a target, with very limited options.

I see our Utah Highway Patrol officers, and sometimes down on the Arizona Strip, AZ DPS officers sitting in the median, way too near the hammer lane, running radar. Then when they have to move, they have to merge into high speed traffic, from an unexpected direction. Better (or worse,) than that, is the DPS that used to sit at the south end of the Virgin River Gorge, FACING traffic, running radar. Putting himself and the motoring public in an obscene amount of danger when he wheels out onto the road, taking BOTH the hammer AND the granny lane, to get turned around and headed in the right direction.......:rolleyes:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.