Sunoco Crude, thought?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by BRShirk, Jan 27, 2016.

1. BRShirk

BRShirk Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Sunoco Crude, good and bad information please. Pay, benefits, working conditions, steady work, treatment? I'm looking at some of the OK yards.

I'm not a rookie. I've got 22yrs in the seat with the last 18+/- months hauling refined.

The only reason I'm considering leaving my current job is they started a new gimmick that pays us by the load and expects us to work like we're on the clock.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mad Frenchman

Mad Frenchman Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Texas
    if you got a job in the patch, that provide hours in a decent amount, I would keep it even with the little extra work - the oil economy and its state of uncertainty should make the jumping boat action a very last resort.

That being said, I think Arky (if he is still around) used to work for Sunoco in OK , (and TX)
    Never heard a bad thing about the company, here in West Tx they are around a little bit still, but more often than not by 1600 all the trucks are back in the yard.

4. BRShirk

Aug 4, 2013
    I read his thread before I started this job. Figured I'd get some tank experience and go from there.

With the price of crude down I figured it'd be iffy but saw a list of openings on the Sunoco link. Figured I'd ask around.

That and it's out of the Peoples States of Yankeeland.

5. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    I'm still around, but no longer in the oil patch or with SUN. They are a great company to work for if there is a yard close to you. My guess is that they are very slow currently. I worked out of a yard near Cushing and one of their top drivers called me a while back...he was looking around due to slow work. Not sure if he left or not. There are guys in OK that have worked for SUN for many years, one guy 20+ years, same yard. So they do tend to stick around through the slow times. The benefits are awesome, the pay is low to Avg for oilfield work (from what I saw in OK...some places/people in TX did very well). For long term, steady work, great benefits SUN, NGL, Enterprise from what I saw are/were the places to be. For an out of stater like myself, those situations just doesn't work well.

I found good money working for a smaller carrier with a sleeper truck was best for me. After that, I worked for a fuel company that provided hotel rooms (decent rooms most of the time... very worthless company...but I wound up working for them longer than anyone just because of the setup they had worked great for me).

SUN is good if you live near a yard or willing to relocate. Housing should be reasonable in OK these days. Stillwater had reasonable rentals even during the boom. 3 or 4 SUN yards within 20 miles or so, one within 5 miles. They have a lot of yards in OK and TX.

Add: Look into fuel hauling. Lots of fuel work out of OKC and Tulsa. Pay is as good as anything you'll find in the patch right now and the work is easier IMO. Same advice I gave to the driver who called me.

Good luck!

BRShirk Thanks this.
  6. BRShirk

Aug 4, 2013
    I'm looking to relocate and Stillwater was the yard I was looking at. I'm looking to buy a house and quit the NE region lock, stock and barrel.

I'm hauling fuel now for a chain of stores. I don't want to name or bash the company because I still thinks its a good place. They just have a bunch of corner office desk jockeys that throw a wrench in the system every 6mo or so. This latest gimmick cut my productively by almost 20%.

7. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Understood. At least you know fuel option is out there and Stillwater would be close enough to get those jobs too... I think. I liked Stillwater. Relocating and working out of that yard was one of my options that I ended up not doing. Good people up there. If the work is there I think you'll be happy with the rest.

For what its worth I probably averaged around $225/day. I know one guy from that Stillwater yard claimed to avg around $300... but that was almost 2 years ago now. Back then, Stillwater was the heart of their largest producer...which they lost at some point. But there are lots and lots of other smaller wells in the area. I think they have gotten a raise..maybe 2 since I was there.

8. BRShirk

Aug 4, 2013
    Thanks for the info.

My average WAS around $275@5 loads a day in 11.5 or so hours. I'm lucky to get 4 loads a day now in about the same time.

I'm not going to rush into anything. I'm checking into a few things and a few locations including going back to LTL P&D

Arky Thanks this.
  9. Easttexan

Easttexan Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Longview,Texas
    I worked for them for 4 years. Average pay was about $225-$240 per day if you busted your ###. Management was a joke and the buddy system was in full force. As for Safety....they talk a good game but that's about it. If you have a work related injury they will hang you out to dry. I quit em due to piss poor management. If I chose to haul crude again Sunoco Logistics would be my LAST choice. The area I worked in lost a LOT of customers, mostly due to poor management, which left us drivers scrambling for work.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    wtxiceman Thanks this.
  10. Dharok

Dharok Medium Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
    #### I was making the same at select hauling water. Hourly @ 19/hr... 12-14 hrs daily... I thought crude paid more since it's more work/hassle..

11. Dharok

Dharok Medium Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
    How's that gig? I'm going back on the road till I'm 25, so for a year and a half. I am waiting for clearance from the TSA for the hazmat. I was thinking I'd try that after. I tried Pepsi and I didn't like the amount of work, too brutal for me. (I don't mind working, I enjoyed hauling water in the oilfields and doing cleanup jobs and oil transfers and all that #### vac trucks have to do) but 600 cases in 12 hours... that's too much..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.