Superbug Now Here In The USA??

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by STexan, May 26, 2016.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    We've been hearing about how antibiotics are becoming less effective with each passing decade, and this story seems to indicate the beginning of the future is here, now in the USA ...
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...ing-just-reached-the-us/ar-BBtwrwg?li=BBnbfcL

I can not remember the last time I was on antibiotics, must have been at least 15 years ago. I have not been to see a doctor in over 7 years. And I just do not "get sick", never have. Also, I've driven truck on and off most of my adult life and I'm 53 years old. I wonder if truckers and others who roam all over and mingle with people from all over, have developed a resistance to many "bugs" that others succumb to?

Any thoughts on what the future looks like given the list of this story? I know many people who go to the doctor every time they get a scratchy throat or runny nose, and it seems many doctors prescribe antibiotics, willy-nilly, just upon a patient asking

WotansVolkman and daf105paccar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    The science world needs lots of funding...

"In the U.S. alone, 2 million people develop resistant infections each year and 23,000 die, according to the CDC."

Oh, wait, let's outsource research...

"We’re going to need new actors to take on programs of antimicrobial resistance, including small and midsize biotechs, non-profit product development partners and developing country manufacturers"

Medicine - Made In China.

Daria Thanks this.
  4. Little Eddy

Little Eddy Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Sounds like someone needs the ol' gloved finger.
    At 53 seeing a doctor yearly is how you get to out live your retirement savings.
    An ounce of prevention...

rachi Thanks this.
  5. Audiomaker

Audiomaker Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    I watched a documentary on this a couple years back... it's not really recent news.
    What is horrific about it that the article linked above doesn't mention, is that it has been found that one type of bacteria can (and do) share this genetic resistance gene with bacteria of different types...outside the body.

That's a little frightening in that it seems almost...directed.
    I mean, why would one form of bacteria (say MRSA, share genetic information on resistance with something completely different (say strep)???

It's as if they are "uniting" against us... or at least buddy-ing up with each other.

Sad part is that whether your are of concern or not... it only takes one good one at this point in human history and you won't have any trouble finding a spot at the truck stop.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    A theory I created in the darker recesses of my deranged head says the the phenomenon of bacteria "sharing" genetic information is proof the the entire biosphere we live in is a self-regulating system, and we (humans) are overpopulating our niche in the system.

Or to put it plainly, there are simply too many of us, and Mother Nature is trying to find ways to cull the herd.

7. Audiomaker

Audiomaker Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    Nah, they're just pissed about the Lysol.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Bacteria has been evolving since day 1, they build up resistance to antibiotics to survive. This is old news, like REALLYYYYY old news. The problem is eventually we will run out of ideas. We been making new drugs over and over to combat this.

9. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    That is the scariest thing I've read on this site.

10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Unless you become a vegetarien you do take antibiotics.
    The meatindustry is notorious for overuse off meds.

king Q Thanks this.
  11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    The story says the strongest antibiotic ever created was made 50 years ago,
    This new generation of scientists is nothing but a bunch of Petri dish holders.

scottied67, w.h.o and WotansVolkman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.