Surprise, surprise! I'm having technical difficulties.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Scarecrow03, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    It seems my air card is having problems of some sort. I have the Sierra Wireless 881 USB Connect device through AT&T. The problem I'm having is that whenever I open up AT&T Communication Manager to connect, the software won't go past the "Acquiring Data Service" portion of the normal start up procedures. I get an error message telling me that this is due to high traffic or low signal. I looked at my event log and have found two different errors that occurred sometime on the 13th. The first one is "Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported a problem." The other error is "Error 668: The connection was terminated."

I've been all over Google and AT&T's website searching for definitions of these errors, but can't come up with anything. My Google search listed several different message boards with advice from those boards' members saying to try downloading a different software called 3G Watcher. One poster on one of those forums said it was the absolute cure-all for him/her. So I tried to follow the links provided, but get a timeout error message from Firefox. I've tried going to Sierra Wireless' site and get the same timeout message.

Can anyone help me out?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    Does it require a sim card? Have your tried reseating the sim card? I use to have AT&T wireless card and I had the same problem. It turned out, the sim card got corrupted and AT&T gave me another one.

Scarecrow03 Thanks this.
  4. lighthouse74

lighthouse74 <strong>"Beacon Of Light"</strong>

Oct 7, 2008
    Out to sea
    I am wondering if you are going to have to be on the phone with AT&T and have them walk you through the problems ... sounds just like what happened ... the first time I had my new air ... when they could not walk me through anything and nothing was working it came to find out that there was no signal coming from the air card ... meaning antenna went bad ... AT&T sent me the new shell and everything worked fine again no problems ... then you took that "fixed" air card on the road with you ... and something eventually went wrong with that air card ... out on the road you purchased a new air card ... wondering if the antenna's in those are known for going bad ...

Scarecrow03 Thanks this.
  5. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I tried that just a little bit ago. Pulled the SIM card out, left it out for a while, then put it back in. Still getting the same errors.

6. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

Every now and again my aircard gives me problems. Once or twice I have uninstalled and reinstalled the connection and software and that fixed it. Once it had to be reset on Verizon's end.

Scarecrow03 Thanks this.
  7. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    All i had to do was reboot the computer and mine went to working...I am going to assume when your computer is not in use that you do turn it off not put it in sleep mode but actually turn it off....this allows for the computer to reset itself and clean out bogus errors it might have incurred....

Scarecrow03 Thanks this.
  8. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Normally I just close the lid on the laptop and let it go into hibernation, however I did turn it off last night.

In the past I've had problems with it not connecting or disconnecting on its own and had to restart the computer to fix the problem. It seems this is going to require more.

9. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga

Is your cell phone with AT&T also if it is just use the quick cs dial 611 and it will take you to tech support....one good thing about tech support there is they actually speak english lol

10. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

That caused my first problem with my aircard, the one time that Verizon had to reset it. Apparently I wasn't supposed to do that and eventually it caught up to me. So now I am careful to power off the aircard first, then close the lid.

11. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Yes I'm with AT&T on the cell too, but when I called 611 they let me know that they're not open on Sundays. Reckon I'll call 'em tomorrow if I haven't fixed it on my own yet.
    I would always disconnect and close the Communication Manager software then remove the air card from the USB before closing the lid.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.