Swift after all...

Discussion in 'Swift' started by CasanovaCruiser, Jul 27, 2015.

1. iloveatrucker

iloveatrucker Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2015
    If you are in the training phase when your brother gets married, the only way they will get you home us if your trainer lives in the same area as you and requests hometime. (I was pregnant when hubby was training, his mentor would not ask for the week before i was due off so they could induce, luckily, the baby waited for him.) If you are on your own, swift is pretty good about hometime, unless your truck breaks down.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    The school takes about 3 weeks...do the school and test out for your CDL, then take off until after the wedding and go to orientation and get with your mentor then. No fuss, no muss, no worries about broken promises.

4. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Already have my CDL ;)

5. A_C_Cooper

A_C_Cooper Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Gilbert, SC
    Just a thought and i may be way off base but ask them if you wait then need a refresher if you can do it at their school. not sure if you can but the worst they can do is say no.

6. CasanovaCruiser

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Just had a conversation with my recruiter, she got me in touch with the woman who would be my driver coordinator (I think that's what her title was) during training and got my requested time off approved with her. I should be finished with training at that point but that was just to be sure. I've been very anal about these dates with my recruiter so far.
    Everything is looking good for the most part. I'm starting orientation in Gary on Monday.
    If anything, this thread can serve as a learning experience of me getting screwed and I'll miss my brothers rehearsal and fly in for the wedding. There's a day gap between the two so with some luck I should be able to get the truck to a terminal and catch a plane out. Or I'm being a complete idiot about this all and we can have a good laugh about it in a couple months.

7. DocWatson

DocWatson Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    I don't think they are going to screw you on this. Swift like most companies wants to retain their drivers. I think they will get you to the wedding if the driver coordinator stated you will get there. Keep us posted.

8. CasanovaCruiser

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Will do.
    When I start orientation I think I'll start a thread to document my experience with the company. I'll be going flatbed and there's not much out there for the division.

A_C_Cooper Thanks this.
  9. A_C_Cooper

A_C_Cooper Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Gilbert, SC
    That would be great I'll be going flatbed with swift myself in a month or so and I'd love to have some more recent info on their mentor phase for flatbed.

10. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Well if you drive already for Swift? I'd imagine they will train you on a flatbed for 3-4 days and send you out on your own. I plan to do flatbed for Swift. They want me to start with reefer van first though. Since I live in the West they would send me to Phoenix for the training. Guessing the mentor phase is the same as van.

11. Sneakerfix

Sneakerfix Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Pasadena,ca
    3 - 4 days of securement training is not enough IMO

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.