Swift - Auto Hauling now??

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Marlin46, May 16, 2015.

1. Marlin46

Marlin46 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Maybe it is just something I haven't seen before but did Swift get into the auto hauling sector? Tonight I saw two tractors ( one day cab / one OTR ) pulling something similar to a 3 car wedge each with 3 of those new Dodge Cargo / Work Van thingamabobs on them.

Looked like fairly nice trailers was just curious if any Swifty's knew what the story on them is, dedicated account or has Swift had it a while and I am just late to the party?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. YodaPagoda

YodaPagoda Bobtail Member

May 13, 2015
    Dagobah (Portland, OR)
    So far as I remember, Swift has been hauling cars since I drove for Schneider back in '04-05. I'd suspect it's a dedicated run, only for the additional training involved.

truckon Thanks this.
  4. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Swift got out of it years ago if I remember correctly. There are still the old Sterlings running around with the Swift logo on the trailers.

5. Knucklehead619

Knucklehead619 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Flyover Country
    Swift got out of general auto hauling many moons ago. They were selling off the last of their Sterlings and converting or selling their "autorail" trailers when I hired on with them in 2005. However, once Dodge started selling their Sprinter Vans (2007-ish) Swift picked up an account to haul them both on flats and 2 at a time in dry vans. Don't ask me how they can block and secure them in a dry box because I honestly don't know but I have seen them being unloaded from a standard-issue Swift dry box in Phoenix around 2010 or so. Interesting stuff.

Marlin46 and truckon Thank this.
  6. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    Within the last year and a half, when the otr and daycab looking truck (there is a very small bunk in it) have unloaded and heading back to Laredo, they will load the smaller rig onto the larger rig and head back to do it again.

Marlin46 Thanks this.
  7. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    they haul the vans out of Laredo then they piggy back the day cab onto the sleeper and head back to grab more vans

8. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    I've hauled them in a van ... they block both the front back with 2 4x4s with a strap on one front tire and one rear, nailed under the 4x4s ... then each tire is blocked on the 4x4s with 2x4s on each side.

When you're done unloading you have bunch of lumber you need to get rid of. I delivered in east PA and was heading up to NY for my next load ... I pulled into the truck parking area on 287 and stacked it on the side walk. It was good lumber and I figured someone would pick it up ... guy in p/u pulled up before I even got back to my truck and thought he had struck a gold mine.

Knucklehead619 Thanks this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Oh snap!

Where are the delivery locations? I want to replace some of the dunnage on my flatbed. That's good oak right there.

10. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    I have done 2. One was piece of cake. T-call in New Boston going to Canada. Second one sucked. Two stops. I have to remove all of the dunnage and call ahead to make sure that they had a Jerry Dan there when I got there so they could drive off onto the Jerry Dan. Had to wait for about 3 hours because the Jerry Dan was on a call. Had that one other time when hauling tow motors.

11. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Did you get paid your $100 unload pay for driving 'em off the truck ... and did you get detention waiting for the jerry dan?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.