Swift - Current Idle Policy

Discussion in 'Swift' started by DoubleO7, Aug 29, 2015.

1. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois

Yes, I noticed that about the sleeping bag ratings as well. I actually have two, really roomy matching coleman bags so I can double up. But I am not going to freeze.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Was with a company driver the other day with a new 2016 and his truck will not idle unless over 70 and below 20. Swift wants you idling below 20, even if about 30 and the wind chill is below 20, they want you to idle

CasanovaCruiser and DoubleO7 Thank this.
  4. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Crap, 40F is #### cold for me. Below 50 or over 70 I don't sleep well.
    Swift can go packing at 20F, I'd like to know how many of their office staff keep their house heat that low at night. Yeah right!

5. DoubleO7

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois

I wonder why they have a hard time keeping drivers?

6. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    All of the trucks are equipped with bunk heaters that will keep you quite warm that work no matter the temp outside. They just want you to idle below 20 to keep from jelling. The older trucks like 2015 and below you can over ride the idling. It is just the new 2016 that have a sensor in it that will not allow you to idle between 20 and 70.

I know of some companies that have something called opti-idle in their truck. During the cold nights or very hot nights the engine starts and stops all night. Would you prefer that and I know some companies that will take away from your pay or bonus when idle do much, depending on the dm or the terminals. As far as Swift, they will moan about do much idling, especially when in the temps of the 40's to 60's when you have a bunk heater. If it is not working then they do not say anything accept to ask you to get it fixed if not working. They want you comfortable at night to sleep. Just use common sense. I know that at times if you are sitting all day and it is hot and you are at a truck stop, try and go inside and sit instead of the truck is possible.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  7. DoubleO7

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois

What temp is the thermostat set on in their offices?

8. DoubleO7

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois

This will sound dumb. What is a bunk heater. I have been off the road since 2004

9. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Little box, burns tiny amounts of fuel to create heat and pumps it out from under the bunk. Webasto and some other weirdly named company make Swift's.

DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  10. sisterannie

sisterannie Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2014
    New Mexico
    My husband has a new 2016 Freightliner and there is a way to change the idle temps to accommodate your personal needs.

11. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    I can over-ride the engine shutdown and idle as long as I want to in the 2016 Freightliner I drive. Simply tap the foot feed when the icons on the dash light up and you're good to idle.

I know I have posted this story elsewhere on this forum, but I'll do so again here. Several years ago we had an unusually hot April. I idled more than what Swift thought was appropriate so they wrote me up. In mid May my DM explained the write up to me and had me sign that I received the counciling. When I signed it I noticed the space for my comments on the situation. I wrote that Swift might as well write me up now for the rest of the summer because I wasn't going to try to sleep in a pool of sweat. For the rest of the summer I idled as I had been and never heard another word about it.

Skate-Board and GWS Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.