swift "driver support"

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Cromwell, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I have been with swift for about two months now. Overall I say they are ok, but unfortunately the worst part of swift is the part you HAVE to deal with pretty frequently. The office people. While they are not all bad, I have come across a couple very helpful people, I have literally only come across a couple in my two months time. The rest are rude as hell, say they'll fix it or help or take care of the problem whatever it may be and just don't do anything, or they just really don't do anything from the beginning. They'll just give you the run around so you'll call someone else. It's very irratating. I can't for the life of me figure out how swift ever got to be so big with this kind of staff. I tried to remain positive to try to prove all the negative talk about swift wrong, however I can not and will only be with swift about another month or so.

SouthernLady and scottied67 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Are you doing OTR or on a dedicated account ?

4. Fl_Scoob

Fl_Scoob Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Ive been with Swift 9months now, OTR, from My experience so far, I do remember the days when I had to deal with that in My first month or two, although in time I learned really how to avoid them. I have them keep Me running, I dont even ask to deliver early, I just do and keep myself trying to get on the next load. Just keep running them hours and making that money out there, I went platinum by end second month. As far as the rude dispatch, they deal with so much crap all day, endless, so just stressed out, Ive learned to just get in and out of the term to avoid it. I cant blame them personally, they deal with new drivers every week and just expect people to get the hang of it. Once you do you wont need them much. Anyhow, JMO. Good luck, stay safe.

Myyshorty and TruckDuo Thank this.
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I'm doing otr truck duo. Scoob, I stay running pretty good too. I have for the last several weeks been between 2000 and 3000 miles. Steady work usually, but I keep running into loads that are jacked up and don't have time on them or something goes wrong with the system or something on the L or E call and I have to call them. I understand they put up with a lot of idiots, but I see no sense in being like some of them are unless I give them a reason too. I've gotten to where now I really don't care if their end gets took care of right or not. They'll call if they need something. I MO it's unnecessary and ####ty, and I'm not trying to put up with it al my life. Imma get 6 months to a year in just to have something to write down and move on.

SouthernLady and scottied67 Thank this.
  6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    So true. About 90% of the problems at Swift are caused by the office trolls. The job itself is not bad. The customers are rarely a problem. At a average 3 years old, the Swift mechanics have not seen the trucks enough to screw them up terribly. But the office idiots have free run of the joint. Most are related to or have connections with Jerry or the church. Most do not know one end of the truck from the other. Almost all could not figure out the simple 5th grade story problem that starts out, "If a truck traveling at 60mph left Chicago at ...." Many have college degree's in nothing important. The ones that don't were crappy drivers that could not make it is drivers, and were to dumb to get away from the company.

It all boils down to they don't have any responsibility. With 100% turnover they can always blame the driver. The driver will be out of there before he even knows what crap happens in the trucking industry. The average experience of a driver is 8 months at Swift. 8 months in, few know #### about trucking so the office crew can pull just about anything and get away with it.

Cromwell Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Swift is a training company. They make more money off training people than they do actually moving freight. That makes high turnover a good thing for them.

TruckerRg, Scoots and Sneakerfix Thank this.
  8. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Cromwell , I recommend you get yourself to your home terminal and have a face to face get together with your DM as soon as you possibly can so you can talk over your problems . Also get acquainted with your fleet manager so you know who to talk to to fire your DM if you don't get results .

I have been driving off and on since 1967 but it had been 15 years when 2008 ate my life plans and turned them to crap. I had to go through the Academy , mentor and when I soloed was assigned to a rookie driver DM who was a huge help . Even with her help I was overwelmed for months. One frustrating day , she said , "No one is asking you to do anything that thousands of other drivers haven't already done ."

It will take a few more months to figure it out if you make a point of learning the system every day. Once you understand the system you will be able to work it and will need less and less of the drones' help. You can then make a far better move on decision .
    Frank

Myyshorty Thanks this.
  9. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    That is beyond logical which tells me you don't have a clue what you're talking about .

How about doing something useful and fixing my avatar, staff person ?
    Tanx ,
    Frank

austinmike Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't particularly care what you think. I've been around here long enough to know that the stories are all the same. If they were the slightest bit concerned about keeping good help, they would provide some sort of incentive for them to stay.

No.

otherhalftw, hunted, pete1 and 3 others Thank this.
  11. 59halfstep

59halfstep Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Brighton, MI
    That kind of talk should get you great service.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.