Swift drivers, sound off

Discussion in 'Swift' started by BigShrek72, Apr 1, 2011.

1. BigShrek72

BigShrek72 Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Please PM me with more examples and locations on this division between office and drivers... Drivers not being allowed to use certain restrooms? This is crap. Pun not intended.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    I took the test and I'm going to keep on taking it until I get all 3 answers correct. :biggrin_25525:

Tapeworm, JimBob24 and scottied67 Thank this.
  4. BigShrek72

Jun 4, 2010
    Examples please?

5. BigShrek72

Jun 4, 2010
    Actually we do have a committee like that. And I know my boss will often go out into the drivers lounge and ask any drivers in there if they wanna come in and have a big group meeting about any issues.

Rotten and scottied67 Thank this.
  6. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    There is a woman on the Lancaster terminal ECT who will not turn around and look at who she is talking to. You have to talk to her back while she looks at you in the mirror. I actually had to say something to her about it because I couldn't understand what she was trying to tell me. Then she got mad and started acting like I was a dummy. I said something about it the next morning. The response I got was nobody seemed surprised. Why do we keep people around who have a known history like this?

On another note, the night supervisor in Oklahoma City is one of the most patient men I've ever met in my life. I was in the office BSing for a few minutes after t-calling a load. The supervisor was working the desk for a minute. Here comes this young man with hair askew and paperwork in hand. He was dropping a load and picking another up. Since it was noisy in the drivers' lounge, he was asked into the office area. Here is a brief synopsis of the conversation:

Manager: What was your truck number again?

Driver: *blank stare*

M: Do you remember your truck number?

D: *mumbles something*

M: Okay, got ya on. Let's see your paperwork. Where'd you pick this up?

D: *vacant stare* .............*says nothing*

M: I need to know where you picked this up.

D: *repeats last actions*

M: (name) Focus for me here. Where. Did. You. Pick. This. Up?

D: *lights begin to flicker* Uhm.....Texas?

M: Okay. Texas is a really big state. Can you narrow it down a little?

D: I was at a terminal.

M: Did you pick it up at a terminal?

D: No.

M: Where were you?

D: Uuhhmmm......

M: Okay. Which terminal? Was it El Paso? Houston? Laredo? Lancaster?

D: Yeah!

M: Which one?

D: Lancaster.

M: So you were at Lancaster, but you didn't pick it up in the terminal?

D: Yeah.

M: Dallas area?

D: No.

M: *sighs heavily* *looks helpless*

D: Uuhhmmm....big city.

Injun: (to other office guy) *sing-songy whisper* Wiiiiiizz-quiiiz....

Other Office Guy: *nods*

M: Okay, a big city near Lancaster, but not Dallas.

D: *nods* *intensifies vacant stare* (I never knew that was possible)

M: (naming off cities) Dennison. Garland. Irving..... Arlington? Fort...

D: Yeah!

M: Which one?

D: Fort ....something....

M: Fort Worth?

D: Yeah! Got it in Fort Worth....

This manager showed more patience with this kid than I could ever have mustered. He showed a level of professionalism that is rarely seen in any field, much less, the transportation industry. I was singularly impressed with how this was handled.

7. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    I think that many, maybe most, of the issues Swift has are similar to the issues other large carriers have. If I'm right about this, then it just seems to follow that either the issues are not fixable because of the nature of the business or the "cure for the disease" is too painful to the bottom line.

I would be interested in the results of the survey Swift did. I'd also like to know what, if anything, is being put into place to ameliorate some of the identified issues.

Finally, I find it more than a little bit puzzling that Swift (or any carrier) doesn't know what the issues are and has to ask drivers. Haven't they been listening?

JimBob24, TruckrsWife and scottied67 Thank this.
  8. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    I'm sorry...what did you say?

You want a load to Fort Worth? But could you handle that many miles...we are in Dallas you know...or is it Lancaster...could be El Paso, or even Houston....aw heck everything looks the same in Texas!:biggrin_2559:

JustSonny Thanks this.
  9. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest

I'm sending you a pm *nods*

10. BigShrek72

Jun 4, 2010
    The purpose of this is that we are working on driver retention. Swift may or may not know what drivers are unhappy about, I cannot speak for them and please do not think I am a mouthpiece for the company. I am here of my own resolve and I am genuinely interested in helping the drivers relate to the company better.

The purpose of me asking this question is because I dont know what the issues are that you deal with as a driver for Swift. I never drove for Swift. When I was approached about consulting on a driver retention team, I gladly accepted the chance, knowing that I could be a voice for you, the driver. When I write my report to my boss, I will include a lot of what I have learned from this thread, and others that I have read, along with possible solutions.

Swift recognizes that we have some very good drivers. We also have some bad ones, and some that will never be happy, even if you offered them a free massage and mani/pedi at every terminal. We want to keep the good drivers, so that is the purpose of this thread. What are the problems, what do we need to do to fix them, how can we make our drivers happy. Those are the questions we want to answer. What will keep you here, instead of going to work for another company.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  11. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    I really like the idea of the mani/pedi. Just saying.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.