Swift Flatbed, 11 western states and Phoenix CDL training?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by GWS, Aug 17, 2015.

1. GWS

GWS Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    looking for info, offered CDL training in Phx and would run 11 western states after school. Looking for any info I can get. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did the recruiter tell you about driver facing cameras and sound monitoring equipment in the truck? They claim it's only activated during critical events, but other threads on here show much different. One post, the driver came out of his sleeper and the camera was rolling. Of course he's upset about being lied to, but many dumbed down Americans are brainwashed into being comfortable with big brother watching & listening 24/7.
    I may be slammed by others about tipping you off to this, but it's an open forum and I can post anywere, anytime. It's only right that you know about this so you can make an informed decision.

Here's one recent post on this Swift thread:
    Swift DashCam Review
    DerpDerp posted Friday at 9:52 AM

Might get the same deal with Knight Transportation in Phoenix but without the cameras. Maybe they don't have cameras and sound monitoring. Haven't heard of them installing this equipment.

Roehl has flatbed and western states running. From my understanding they only have this equipment in the trucks of problem drivers & not fleet wide.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Sneakerfix and lots of character Thank this.
  4. GWS

GWS Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Yep, I've read about them, not happy would be an understatement. Swift is not my first choice but the flat bed side of the operation looks ok, other than the camera issue of course.

Completely agree about the dumbing down of our society.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did you check with Roehl flatbed?

6. GWS

GWS Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Yep, just waiting on the final approval because I'm a few miles outside of the Phx valley hiring area. They are my first choice hands down.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. GWS

GWS Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    With swift I have heard three contradictory things about going flatbed.

1- you can go directly to school for flatbed at Phx through the CDL program and directly to flatbed securement class then with a flatbed mentor, but sometimes there is a wait for a flatbed mentor. And you have the choice to wait or temporarily go with a van mentor until a flatbed mentor is available.

2- go through the CDL program, then securement, then go with a van mentor for two weeks then a flatbed mentor for two weeks.

3- go through CDL program and have to wait 6 months while driving van before going to the flatbed securement class and out with a mentor.

Any of these even close to reality?

Sneakerfix Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I personally don't know, but that's been posted on here several times in the past. Swift is just too big and the turnover is just too high for everything to run smoothly.
    I'd put the pressure on Roehl.

9. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi GWS, I was with swift flatbed for 2 years and enjoyed my time with them. The division manager is Chris morgan and he is a great dude. And Ray pederson is the instructor out there in phoenix and he is great as well. I can't comment on the planners and dispatchers, they have a new crew since I left. But I would trust Chris morgan to put a great team together.

Regarding your questions:

There is a huge shortage of flatbed mentors (the trucks have small sleepers to make room for 6' of front overhang off the trailer, they are not suitable for teaming/training IMO). So yes, in theory, you would get your CDL at the academy, do a phase 1 securement class, go out with a flatbed mentor, do a phase 2 class, then get released solo. But in practice it usually doesn't work out that way. A friend of mine is a local flatbed driver out of jurupa valley and swift is sending him students. They will go out with a van mentor to learn how to drive the truck and work the Qualcomm, then spend a week with my buddy to learn securement. This is the most likely scenario for you. Be prepared to play the swift van mentor lottery. Some are great, some are ok, some are awful.

If you run 11 western you will haul a lot of lumber and a lot of glass. You will haul pipes, clay and PVC mostly. You will haul steel that my buddy picks up from the port and drops in the yard for you. Oh and the best part, swift doesn't do GAF shingle rolls anymore, those loads were the worst. Pretty much everything will be tarped.

I posted some pictures in the flatbed forum in this post: http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...ruiting-flat-bed-drivers.289148/#post-4669846

That's it off the top of my head. Any other questions just ask.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    GWS Thanks this.
  10. GWS

GWS Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Thanks Plant for the info, I kinda figured that flatbed trainers where a rarity. How where the miles vs home time? I have heard a rumor that they dont like you to go home for more than three days no matter how long you've been out and if you request more than 3 they will make you leave your truck at a terminal and you will not get it when you get back. Pick a different one, like slip seating. Any truth to that?

11. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Does Swift go up to Canada much? Flatbed that is or Van? Also do you get Swift lanyard and badge? Just curious. Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.