Swift O/O Load Board

Discussion in 'Swift' started by MysticHZ, Feb 9, 2013.

1. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Last fall Swift committed to a load board for the O/Os and have been providing updates via the Facebook page. I'm going to rehash some of the information from the page.

Swift ran a pilot program before the holidays and it didn't go so well. Swift started another pilot a few weeks ago. Initially with 3 drivers, they added 5 more and then last week 5 more. Bringing the total in the program to 13. I was lucky enough to be one of the 5 in the last group.

The program is not a load board. Swift has partnered with a broker to give us access to more loads. These are not Swift loads, but loads the broker contracted with the shipper.

As a Swift O/O it provide you a second option for loads. You can still and will get preplans from the planners, you can still use Mac 30. But you can also call the broker for available loads.

The communication with the broker is via phone and it is strictly between you and the broker. No Swift planners are involved. You can let the broker know if you are interested in going to a specific area or just find out what he has. You can contact the broker anytime.

As far as rate, this is where it gets fun. It's negotiated between you and the broker. You get what you can. The rate you negotiate is all inclusive. There are no additional spiffs for lumpers, tolls, etc. you get what you get. All expenses come out of your pocket.

Once you agree to take the load, the broker contacts a Swift CSR and the load is put on you as a preplan via QC, same as always. After that you do all your same QC calls just as you would on a Swift load. The only exception is a phone call to the broker when you have loaded and emptied.

You pay amount will be confirmed as an X-pay message on the QC and you will be paid on your statement same as would for a Swift load. Your maintenance account is credited just as always for the miles you run on the load.

Right now this program is in the pilot phase. Currently it is only solo, OTR and all 48 drivers. No mentors, team or obviously dedicated. Though the addendum to the contract I signed does have provisions for mentors, so Swift does appear to be looking to the future as the program matures.

Bottom line I see this as a big positive and a win/win/win for all parties. Swift is stepping up to the plate and working to improve the O/O program. Out of it they will get an additional revenue stream, the broker will get access to a large fleet of truck, giving them the ability to expand their business and the O/O get access to additional freight and the opportunity for additional revenue.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fr8monkey

fr8monkey Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Right behind you
    ch robinson?....is that the broker?.....whats was the "fun part"?....what are they offering?

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    fr8 ... Swift hasn't publicly disclosed the broker, so I won't until they do.

The fun part is the negotiating for the rate. Sometimes, other than getting a load when Swift can't, you don't get much. Other times, it can be very lucrative. Plus, just the abiltiy to ask what have you got, going where and then make your choice.

Most of the loads tend to be heavy, all live. You're using a Swift trailer to haul thier loads.

fr8monkey and scottied67 Thank this.
  5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    This could be a game-changer in the industry if Swift can pull this off. Brokers will be falling all over themselves to offer Swift O/O's loads to/from Chicago/PA/NY as they (O/O) don't have/need to be paid 100% tolls (thereby undercutting every other trucking outfit out there, as one example) as they have the cheap transponder.

I hope they get it figured out real quick, this could turn out to be a game changer for Swift as well, I can envision more company drivers coming over to the O/O side.

Possible downside would be some O/O's seeing what their time and truck is truly worth might be more motivated to move on to model where they can pick 100% of their loads ala Landstar.

spectacle13 and fr8te_sh8ker Thank this.
  6. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    Sorry ... wasn't real clear. On broker loads Swift doesn't pay the tolls, you do. Same for lumpers.

Though I do believe it can introduce a different model for the owner leased on to a carrier. The advantage is still being able to pull loads at the Swift rate.

Get a good rate going into Florida from the broker, then use Swift to get out as opposed to deadheading 200-300 miles like someone on the LS model might. I sat across from an independent O/O in Laredo at the J. He had been there for 4 days, the best he was getting offered was .10 less than what Swift was paying me. And I turned around in 20 hours.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. jdrentzjr

jdrentzjr Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    Add "CHEAP" to that discription and what do you get? C.(cheap)H.(heavy) Robinson :biggrin_2559:

8. jdrentzjr

jdrentzjr Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    Kidding aside, I think you've described how it COULD be a possitive change for Swift O/Os.

9. fr8monkey

fr8monkey Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Right behind you
    sounds like u need to be real clear and understand your bottom line numbers to take a load....i would be careful and wary....at first...i think taking something higher than swifts regular rate..until i know breakeven including tolls,lumper...do they disclose if lumper is needed?

scottied67 and jdrentzjr Thank this.
  10. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    Most definitely ... you ahve to put your big boy pants on and know your business. You're on your own and no coddling from the mother ship. You take the load, you're responsible for it. Other than a dire emergency, no tcall, no repower, no DM to bail you out. This isn't going to be for everybody. All may eventually get the opportunity, but not all can succeed.

I may find out Monday. I forgot to ask and they didn't tell. I'm at T/S next to the receiver and it's a food distribution operation. I may be getting an expensive lesson.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    It's going to be like anything else. It's an opportunity and it will be what you're able to make out of it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.