Swift O/O Load Board

Discussion in 'Swift' started by MysticHZ, Feb 9, 2013.

1. texantrucker34

texantrucker34 Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Kansas is on the pike pass now I've went through there fine with pike pass.

stevep1977 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 7seriestv

7seriestv Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2016
    @MysticHZ what's the status on this, are they still using it. Look like something down my alley, really getting tired of how the planners and dispatch baby us and the way they send load. I know I can do a lot better if I can contact the brokers on my own. Anybody have more info on this, how do I get on this program? a driver gave me a broker number few months ago but my phone kick the bucket and I lose everything in their. Anybody have a broker number?

4. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Program is still active ... It is by invitation only ... you should not have been given the broker number, not that it would have done you any good.

If you are interested contact Rapid Response and have them put you on the waiting list. If you are selected you will be sent a QC giving you the details.

5. 7seriestv

Jan 28, 2016
    Thanks for that info. Well appreciated

6. truckbuddha

truckbuddha Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I got on the list and was signed up through the link on the Facebook page for Swift O/O, but that was a couple years ago.

I have to warn you, its not what you think its going to be. It won't pay you anything more than what the current Swift rates are. They have been given orders not to, so O/ops don't entirely use the load board.

Plus, I feel they only get the bottom of the barrel crap for freight, the kind that nobody else wants to handle or even mess with. The loads are in usually hard to find and get into places, long waits for either loading or unloading, all kinds of hassles and bs to put up with on one end or the other. Plus they are usually only good for a one way trip. Meaning they can get you sent somewhere, then leave you with nothing, and depend on Swift to get you moving and back out of where ever you are stuck.

Lets face it, while we're out here, we all hear of the $2 and $3 per mile freight rates some drivers are getting from other broker loads. That will never happen with any load from the load board. So don't get your hopes up thinking your going to make way more and have more by getting on the load board. It's a joke! The only people making the real money are the brokers at Command and Swift, its still not us for all the work we do,

This is the real truth. I picked up a load in PA going to Fl, while at the final I spoke to a guy next in line, he also picked up at the same place and it was also a Command Broker load. I asked him what rate he got, his truck and company got a $1000 more for the exact same load as I got. And I have even gotten a hundred or a little more than other Swift O/ops cuz I btch'd and complained a little to the broker, then compared rates with the other drivers and laughed how they made less, but still how we all are getting ripped off, every one of us!

The load board concept would be great, if the broker did actually pay us fair and competitive rates, but it doesn't work that way.

So again, don't get your hopes up. It's not what you think it is, or what you think its going to be.

don

A21CAV Thanks this.
  7. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Don is absolutely right about the Command load board and I challenge any owner to prove us wrong . Command is only an option if you want to move your truck to a better area for a bit more than deadhead and less than Swift pays for empty and loaded .

I no longer run Command loads even if I'm stuck because I simply will not voluntarily be taken advantage of by those scumbags . I'll sit before that happens .

I'm still not sure if it was Command cutting the rates or Swift requiring them to cut the rates . I had and have a good relationship with my Command broker but I'm also enough of a realist to question the word of someone paid commission explaining how they cannot pay more than Swift allows .

The Command Transportation load board was a great option at the beginning . We could negotiate the rate for a load and it was usually more than Swift would have paid for the same miles . In January , 2015 , I ran nothing but Command loads but by June I was done .

Someone at Swift came up with a great concept ; someone else at Swift once again ####ed us .

8. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    Swift put algorithms into the system that Command uses to calculate out rate vs Swifts cut on a given lane.

The first algorithm was just after the program started. Command was pay between 70 and 80% of the average rate on any given lane. It was killer for us because we could run into the NE or down into Florida on on some reall nice rates ... then we would ride out on Swifts dime on our contracted rate.

Problem is Swift was going broke. Swifts model is hitting for average. Swift will make 40 to 60% on us on a load going in and lose money coming out. I've had loads, after taking mt pay into account, where Swift was paying me 110% of the lane rate.

So Swifts first algorithm would give Swift a bigger bite going in, to cover paying the cost of getting out. That said, some lanes you can still get a good percentage of the lane, but typically those are lanes where the going rate is pretty close to the national average.

This is what budda ran into. Yeah that, guy got more than you, because Swift was going have to cover you when you got to Florida. When you got there, you had a locked in rate to get out. That driver was going to be looking at a lot lower rate than you were and a lot of unpaid deadhead. So was he making a lot more than you? On that load yes, overall maybe not or maybe just a little bit better.

The second algorithm comes into play based on Swift capacity. Back in the spring of 14 when freight exploded, Swift couldn't keep up and was leaving freight on the dock. When the planners were held accountable, they blamed the Command program. That O/Os were bailing on Swift loads for the higher paying Command loads.

That was when the edict came down that Command could only pay the Swift rate. Command worked to find an alternative solution, which is an algorithm based on capacity. If you are in green bubble you're going to get closer to the Swift rate. If you are in a red bubble, you have chance to do better than the Swift rate.

But the red bubble is catch 22. If Swift is over capacity, it's because there isn't enough freight for the trucks. And if Swift doesn't have freight, then the pickings at Command will probably be slim in that market also, and the market will dictate lower rates.

Command is still my go to. One they are simply easier to deal with than the planners. And two, I'm still getting a premium over the Swift rate over all. This week they've kept me moving and at a 20% premium. And last, I like live loads. They give me the opportunity for detention pay and I like keeping the same trailer.

9. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Prove your 20% premium on any Command load and I'll buy you a steak dinner , pal . You have my phone number . Text me a PDF of the top section of your settlement with everything blacked out except the Command load/s. I'm calling bull #### on this and I look forward to meeting you in Las Vegas this spring to settle up at Orleans .

I do completely agree with what you said about not dealing with planners and keeping a good trailer . The detention doesn't suck either .

Frank

10. 7seriestv

Jan 28, 2016
    Thanks for all the replies. I will give it a try at least use it when I'm just sitting or when I'm going home. One of the biggest problem I'm having is getting loads to take me home. I also notice that swift make it hard to make money if you not a trainer. That's their model I can't knock them for that but an o/o or l/o shouldn't feel like they are forced to train to make money. When I have a student on the truck I'm always stacked with loads if I run a week or two without a student they don't keep the truck moving.

11. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    From last Friday through this Thursday AM

Miles 107 loaded 80 mt
    Swift $127 loaded $85 mt - total $212
    Command $300

Miles 702 loaded
    Swift $775
    Command $1000

Miles 440 loaded
    Swift $503
    Command $575

Miles 688 loaded 123 mt
    Swift $759 loaded $130 mt - Total $889
    Command $1025

Total Swift - $2379
    Total Command - $2900
    Delta - $521 ... 21%

The Swift rates are an estimate based on where the FSC shoud drop to according to todays EIA report. Sorry ... I dropped something on my intial rough estimate ... it's only a 15% difference ... If I land in Vegas when you do, I'll buy you dinner. ... Never mind ... I used Commands verbal for the mileage on the last load ... just got the preplan with Swift mileage and what they would pay ... so yep a 21% premium.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Reason for edit: to correct mileage on last load
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.