Swift Training @ C1 Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Charlie Mac, Apr 4, 2016.

1. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Here is something to remember in pre-trip that I have seen many people miss, including myself many years ago, and when I was done the inspector kept asking me if done and I said yes, then I knew that I missed something. The city horn. Something so simple

inkeper, Moosetek13 and Charlie Mac Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    How ya doing Charlie, having fun out on the range?

Charlie Mac Thanks this.
  4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    But isn't it a natural movement to check the city horn while checking the air horn?
    HONK, honk... or honk, HONK.
    Don't the two go together?

Charlie Mac Thanks this.
  5. Charlie Mac

Charlie Mac Ears On, Hammer Down

Dec 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I passed my pre-trip today & (it's hilarious that you mentioned the horn) I COMPLETELY skipped the horn in the inspection, haha! I only got -4 points out of the possible -20 allowed.

I skipped the horn on the in-cab (my mind was too focused on not messing up step #2 of the 4pt brake check, which I nailed). When I identified the lights in the rear of the tractor & defects...I said "proper color" but didn't say the actual color...red! Doh! I also just said "damaged" instead of "cracked" on my drums & liners.

On a brighter note, I was 1 of only 4 that passed pre-trip today & got to start offset backing. That was crazy fun.

CasanovaCruiser Thanks this.
  6. Charlie Mac

Dec 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Sorry I havnt updated in awhile. Been crazy busy. Tested out of range & went for a 2 part ride today. My confidence was really growing after today's ride, then I get back to school & my name is in the window to see one of the administrators.

Oh crap...

I found the lady & asked her what's up. She said she needed my signature on a piece of paper. "Okay no worries, what's this for?" She tells me I'm scheduled to test out at State tommorow! What?! I'm not even 3 weeks into the program.

She tells me apparently "someone" thinks I'm ready. I sure wish that someone was me. I'm confident of my pre-trip & range skills, but the road has my concerned. I'm shifting okay, but points add up quickly on the road. Checking mirrors 3x at intersections, stalling out at a stop. Little things got me frazzled.

G13Tomcat and CasanovaCruiser Thank this.
  7. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    They did the same thing to most of the people in my class.
    I tested out for state Tuesday or Wednesday and sat around for the rest of the week.
    If they think you're ready to take the test, you are. It might not feel like it but you've shown them that you can handle what you need to.

Anyway, congrats! Don't let the nerves get to you.

Charlie Mac Thanks this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    They Don't Really teach you much at that school except how to barely pass your driving test. The real learning is going to happen on the job

9. Charlie Mac

Dec 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If I do somehow by the grace of God pass tommorow I'm sure it's gonna be exactly as you said...just barely.

I'm as nervous as the only pig that got an invite to a luau.

rabbiporkchop and CasanovaCruiser Thank this.
  10. Krafty24

Krafty24 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Dixie
    From what I read in your posts, Swift is pretty thorough with training on paper. I would assume the yard work is just as intensive. And they have a simulator? Then why the heck are so many of these guys wrecking? Is it sheer stupidity of the driver? It can't be lack of training from what I read. And with the volume of accidents they have, one would imagine that weeding that stupidity out would become an art form. At this point, a person would be lead to believe that they could almost smell the ones who would be possible future twisted trucker stars.

Charlie Mac Thanks this.
  11. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    You'll be fine. Take a deep breath, calm your nerves, and drive that #####. Remember that slow is smooth and smooth is fast. By now the instructor will have taken you on any of the routes the tester will use, so you'll be familiar with the roads. Watch your signs. He'll probably ask at some point what that sign you just passed said.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.